China stonewalls efforts to get JeM chief proscribed by UN
New Delhi: India`s efforts to get Jaish-e-Mohammad chief Masood Azhar and two top commanders of Lashkar-e-Toiba proscribed by the UN Security Council have been stone-walled by China despite India issuing demarches and furnishing proof of their involvement in terrorist activities.
China has put a "technical hold" on a move in the UNSC to
declare Azhar and LeT terrorists Azam Cheema and Abdur Rahman
Makki as terrorists under its Resolution 1267 of December last
India has issued demarches (diplomatic notes) to China
seeking its support for the resolution and provided detailed
proof about Azhar`s involvement in terrorism but China refuses
to budge, official sources said here.
"Ample evidence has been provided to China but it
continues to say it is not enough," a source said.
China is the only member of the 15-nation grouping to
block the move, sources said.
Earlier, Britain also had blocked the resolution but
decided to support it later when India provided it with proof
about their involvement.
Azhar was one of the three terrorists to be released by
India in exchange for hostages on board the hijacked Indian
Airlines plane IC-814 in 1999.
New Delhi has detailed how Azhar and JeM, the outfit he
founded soon after release from here, were involved in several
terror attacks, including on Parliament in December 2001.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read