China terms Defence Minister`s India visit a succe
Beijing: Terming Chinese Defence Minister Gen Liang Guanglie`s visit to India a success, China on Thursday said the two countries had agreed to push forwards relations and step up military to military exchanges.
Gen Liang, the first Chinese Defence Minister to visit India in eight years, held talks with his Indian counterpart A K Antony, during his five-day visit to India.
Hong Lie told a media briefing here today that the visit was successful, though he declined to react to the controversy over the cash gift to two Indian Airforce pilots who flew the Gen Liang from Mumbai to New Delhi.
"Liang`s visit to India was a success. He had meetings with political and military leaders of India," he said answering a question.
"Both sides agreed to push forward China, India relations, step up military to military exchanges and work jointly to maintain the momentum of China and India relations," he said.
Asked about reports in the Indian media over Liang gifting Rs 50,000 cash to each of the pilot, Hong said he was not aware of the specifics of the incident.
His visit is widely reported in the Chinese media while the defence and strategic analysts said the two countries should move beyond joint military exercises and firm up the defence ties with more exchanges.
During the talks, India and China decided to resume at the "earliest" joint military exercises, which had been put on hold since 2010 over visa row, and agreed to enhance tranquility at the borders, reflecting their keenness to improve mutual confidence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark