China terms Defence Minister`s India visit a succe
Beijing: Terming Chinese Defence Minister Gen Liang Guanglie`s visit to India a success, China on Thursday said the two countries had agreed to push forwards relations and step up military to military exchanges.
Gen Liang, the first Chinese Defence Minister to visit India in eight years, held talks with his Indian counterpart A K Antony, during his five-day visit to India.
Hong Lie told a media briefing here today that the visit was successful, though he declined to react to the controversy over the cash gift to two Indian Airforce pilots who flew the Gen Liang from Mumbai to New Delhi.
"Liang`s visit to India was a success. He had meetings with political and military leaders of India," he said answering a question.
"Both sides agreed to push forward China, India relations, step up military to military exchanges and work jointly to maintain the momentum of China and India relations," he said.
Asked about reports in the Indian media over Liang gifting Rs 50,000 cash to each of the pilot, Hong said he was not aware of the specifics of the incident.
His visit is widely reported in the Chinese media while the defence and strategic analysts said the two countries should move beyond joint military exercises and firm up the defence ties with more exchanges.
During the talks, India and China decided to resume at the "earliest" joint military exercises, which had been put on hold since 2010 over visa row, and agreed to enhance tranquility at the borders, reflecting their keenness to improve mutual confidence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Death toll in Somalia beach restaurant attack rises to 10
- Food allergies linked to higher asthma risk in kids
- Nepal PM Prachanda expands Cabinet, includes 13 ministers from NC
- Lifestyle changes to prevent diabetes can also cut cancer risk: Experts
- Odisha shocker: No ambulance, staff break bones of woman's dead body to carry it on a sling