`China to consider improving Brahmaputra water mechanism`
Beijing: China has responded positively to India`s concerns over Beijing`s plan to build three new dams over Brahmaputra river in Tibet by agreeing to consider improving the present mechanism on sharing of data on water flow, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said on Thursday.
"We raised the Brahmaputra issue. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh too raised it earlier. They had a positive response," Khurshid told the media after his nearly three-hour long talks with his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi here.
India and China have an agreement on sharing the data of the Brahmaputra waters but do not have any treaty on sharing the river waters.
"We can look at whether the same mechanism can be enhanced and its mandate reworded and another mechanism can be put in place," he said.
"But the concerns that we have and the disquiet felt among people was referred to them and the willingness to look at how this can be suitably addressed," he said.
"I thought it was a very positive indication from them," he said adding that there was no discussion of any water treaty but only to expand the present mechanism or look for alternative mechanism to address the issues.
"The perception that they were not responding was unfair. Consultations have to take place. Fair to say there is positive looking attitude in a sense," he said.
New Delhi has said that China`s plans to build dams on the Brahmaputra river would affect water flow to India while Beijing says it is just run-of-the mill project that would not hold water.
China is currently building dams at Dagu, Jiacha and Jiexu in addition to a 510 MW water project at Zangmu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’