`China to consider improving Brahmaputra water mechanism`
Beijing: China has responded positively to India`s concerns over Beijing`s plan to build three new dams over Brahmaputra river in Tibet by agreeing to consider improving the present mechanism on sharing of data on water flow, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said on Thursday.
"We raised the Brahmaputra issue. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh too raised it earlier. They had a positive response," Khurshid told the media after his nearly three-hour long talks with his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi here.
India and China have an agreement on sharing the data of the Brahmaputra waters but do not have any treaty on sharing the river waters.
"We can look at whether the same mechanism can be enhanced and its mandate reworded and another mechanism can be put in place," he said.
"But the concerns that we have and the disquiet felt among people was referred to them and the willingness to look at how this can be suitably addressed," he said.
"I thought it was a very positive indication from them," he said adding that there was no discussion of any water treaty but only to expand the present mechanism or look for alternative mechanism to address the issues.
"The perception that they were not responding was unfair. Consultations have to take place. Fair to say there is positive looking attitude in a sense," he said.
New Delhi has said that China`s plans to build dams on the Brahmaputra river would affect water flow to India while Beijing says it is just run-of-the mill project that would not hold water.
China is currently building dams at Dagu, Jiacha and Jiexu in addition to a 510 MW water project at Zangmu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video