China to provide flood data of Sutlej river to India
New Delhi: China will provide India with real time flood data of Sutlej river during monsoon, according to an agreement signed between the two countries.
Under the five year agreement, China will set up a special station in Tibet to monitor rainfall and flood situation to enable India get advanced warnings.
In turn, India will pay Rs 12 lakh per annum to China. The money will be used by Beijing to maintain the station, sources in the government told a news agency here.
The flood data will be provided twice daily between June and October every year.
"Since we have five to six hydro electric power projects on downstream Sutlej, the data will help us operate the projects in a safer environment," sources said.
Floods in downstream Sutlej have been creating problems on the Indian side.
In July this year, India had renewed a similar agreement with China to get flood data of Brahmaputra river. The agreement for Brahmaputra was signed in 2004.
Though China had been providing flood data of Sutlej, the agreement will help streamline the system, especially during the monsoon season. New Delhi had been paying Rs 12
lakh per annum to China for data of Brahmaputra.
India provides similar flood warnings to Pakistan and Bangladesh free of cost as a goodwill gesture.
Sutlej is the easternmost tributary of the Indus River. Its source is near Lake Rakshastal in Tibet near Mount Kailash, and flows generally west and southwest entering India
through the Shipki La pass in Himachal Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened