China to provide flood data of Sutlej river to India
New Delhi: China will provide India with real time flood data of Sutlej river during monsoon, according to an agreement signed between the two countries.
Under the five year agreement, China will set up a special station in Tibet to monitor rainfall and flood situation to enable India get advanced warnings.
In turn, India will pay Rs 12 lakh per annum to China. The money will be used by Beijing to maintain the station, sources in the government told a news agency here.
The flood data will be provided twice daily between June and October every year.
"Since we have five to six hydro electric power projects on downstream Sutlej, the data will help us operate the projects in a safer environment," sources said.
Floods in downstream Sutlej have been creating problems on the Indian side.
In July this year, India had renewed a similar agreement with China to get flood data of Brahmaputra river. The agreement for Brahmaputra was signed in 2004.
Though China had been providing flood data of Sutlej, the agreement will help streamline the system, especially during the monsoon season. New Delhi had been paying Rs 12
lakh per annum to China for data of Brahmaputra.
India provides similar flood warnings to Pakistan and Bangladesh free of cost as a goodwill gesture.
Sutlej is the easternmost tributary of the Indus River. Its source is near Lake Rakshastal in Tibet near Mount Kailash, and flows generally west and southwest entering India
through the Shipki La pass in Himachal Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi