China violated Indian airspace in March: Antony
New Delhi: The government on Wednesday said China intruded twice into the Indian airspace last month when its helicopters were found flying over territories of Himachal Pradesh.
"There was an incident of air violation on March 16 when two Chinese helicopters were observed flying on Indian side of international border in Himachal Pradesh," Defence Minister A K Antony told Rajya Sabha in a written reply.
Another such incident took place on March 19, he said.
Antony said the incidents of transgression and intrusion were duly taken up with the Chinese side through established mechanism and diplomatic channels.
"Incidents of transgressions or intrusions are taken up with the Chinese side through established mechanisms such as hot lines, flag meetings, border personnel meetings and normal diplomatic channels," Antony said, adding that these mechanisms facilitate maintenance of peace.
In reply to a question on weapon import by India vis-a-vis China, the minister said India has become the largest weapon importer.
"As per report of Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) in March 2012, India has become the largest importer of arms during 2007-2011 and accounted for 10 per cent of the global arms imports as compared to China`s share of five per cent," he said.
Tabling a report on year-wise expenditure on foreign procurement of arms, he said, Rs 10,166.08 crore was spent in 2007-08, which rose up to Rs 13,411.91 crore in 2009-10. During 2010-11, the expenditure touched Rs 15,443.01-crore mark.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Will not be bullied, will definitely visit Pakistan to talk peace: Ramya
- Xioami Redmi Note 4 launched, comes with 10-core processor, 4,100 mAh battery
- Michel Platini at sports court for Sepp Blatter appeal
- LIVE streaming: Krishna Janmashtami 2016 celebrations straight from ISKON Delhi – Watch here
- Temples lit up for Janmashtami celebrations in Madhya Pradesh