China’s new PM speaks to Manmohan Singh
New Delhi: Ahead of their meeting later this month on the sidelines of the BRICS summit in Durban, newly-installed Chinese Premier Li Keqiang spoke to Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Friday and both expressed a desire to work together to boost bilateral ties.
Manmohan Singh congratulated Li on his appointment and "expressed a desire to work together with him to realise the full potential of the relationship between India and China. PM expressed satisfaction with the progress in bilateral relations in recent years and expressed confidence that they will expand further in the years ahead", said an official source.
Li thanked Manmohan Singh and "reaffirmed the significance of ties between India and China".
"He noted that PM would have an opportunity to interact with the new leadership of China on the sidelines of the upcoming BRICS Summit in Durban, South Africa, later this month."
"The two leaders emphasised the need for maintaining high-level exchanges. They extended invitation to each other to pay bilateral visits at their earliest convenience. Both leaders gratefully accepted the invitation and looked forward to an early opportunity to interact," the source added.
China formally installed Li Keqiang as the country`s Premier on Friday. Li, who has held the number two position in the Communist Party of China since November, succeeds Wen Jiabao.
The National People`s Congress officially selected Xi Jinping, Communist Party chief, as President on Thursday in a similar vote.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH