Chinese activity in Indian Ocean Region to figure
New Delhi: Increasing presence of the Chinese maritime forces in the Indian Ocean Region and disciplinary issues in the force are expected to be discussed by the top Navy brass in their commanders` conference starting Tuesday.
The Navy has been concerned over the increasing presence of Chinese Navy`s submarines and other warships in the IOR.
In a recent report submitted to the Defence Ministry, the Integrated Defence Staff headquarters had informed the Government quoting the data by American agencies that 22 encounters of Chinese submarines have taken place outside its territorial waters in the IOR.
China has also been successful in establishing its presence in ports around India including Chittagong in Bangladesh, Sittwe and Coco Island in Myanmar, Hambantota in Sri Lanka and Gwadar in Pakistan, which gives it capability to stay close to Indian waters from all sides in a move known as "string of pearls".
In the conference to be inaugurated by Defence Minister A K Antony, the Navy will also discuss cases of indiscipline faced by the force.
In recent times, several Navy officers have faced allegations of wife swapping and stealing the affection of brother officer`s wife.
One senior officer posted on-board prestigious INS Virat aircraft carrier was dismissed by the force for sending lewd messages to several women using multiple SIM cards and mobile phones.
The top brass of the force is also expected to discuss the delay in the induction of the aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya, which is being retrofitted in Russia and has been delayed due to mishaps in its boiler.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Twenty five militants killed in eastern Nangarhar province in Afghanistan
- Kiren Rijiju celebrates anti-emergency day, says BJP against "dictatorship"
- Minister, 15 others killed in Somalia hotel attack
- Congress stages dharnas demanding resignation of 21 AAP MLAs
- ISIS suspect first to turn informer for British spies: Report