Chinese Ambassador, ZTE team meet Home Secretary
New Delhi: Chinese Ambassador to India
Zhang Yan today met Union Home Secretary G K Pillai in the
backdrop of concerns raised by Indian security agencies on the
use of telecom equipment made by Chinese manufacturers and
later expressed the hope that all issues would be resolved.
Emerging from the nearly 45-minute meeting, Zhang told
mediapersons here that "we had a very good discussion. It was
a positive meeting. I hope all relevant issues will be
Pillai had said three days ago that India`s norms for
foreign telecom companies for doing business in the country
were not loaded against China and every proposal is decided on
Earlier in the day, a delegation of ZTE officials, one
of the Chinese telecom equipment manufacturers whose equipment
had elicited the concerns of Indian security apparatus, also
"We had a meeting Talks are going on. We have appealed
to the government. We have put forward our thoughts. Let`s
see." D K Ghosh, ZTE India head, said after the meeting which
lasted for about half an hour.
"The talks were held in a positive environment" he said
when asked whether he was happy with the talks.
ZTE and Huwaei Technologies are the two Chinese telecom
companies whose equipment have evoked security concerns in
BSNL?s tender for GSM worth Rs 36,000 crore allegedly
did not get sanction from the Prime Minister?s Office six
months ago following an alert from security agencies against
the participation of Chinese companies, official sources said.
The meeting between Zhang and Pillai also assumes
significance in the backdrop of Environment Minister Jairam
Ramesh`s comments in Bejing that Indian government was being
"alarmist" and "paranoid" in its approach towards entry of
Chinese companies in India.
ZTE, a Chinese telecom equipment manufacturing company
has a factory and research centre in Manesar, Gurgaon, which
manufactures wide range of CDMA, GSM mobile sets and other
telecom components. Huwaei has a R & D centre in Bangalore and
are planning a manufacturing unit in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley