Chinese arms manufacturer`s role in supplying arms under probe
New Delhi: Extradition of Thai gun-runner Willy Naru to India is expected to throw more light on the suspected role of a Chinese arms manufacturer, believed to have been supplying arms to northeast insurgent groups, including NSCN-IM and ULFA.
The hope of getting more information on the arms supply links to northeast insurgent groups like NSCN-IM and ULFA has risen after a court in Thailand ordered extradition of Thai gun-runner, Wuthikorn Naruenartwanich alias `Willy Naru`, suspected of selling Chinese arms to Naga rebels.
Official sources said most of the arms like AK series rifles, Universal Machine Guns and M20 pistol used by the insurgent groups are Chinese-made and believed to be manufactured by China North Industries Group Corporation (NORINCO).
"NORNICO is a large group and we suspect the company`s arms and ammunition come to the northeast through the Thai gun running rackets," an official said.
The National Investigation Agency (NIA), probing the case of smuggling arms and ammunition to NSCN-IM, will send a team to Thailand after a month to get the 54-year-old `Willy Naru`.
The Bangkok court yesterday approved the extradition of Willy to India to face trial for helping sell nearly USD 2 million of arms to Naga rebels.
India had secured an Interpol Red Corner Notice against Willy after NSCN-IM leader Anthony Shimray, arrested in Nepal in 2007, alleged that he had paid the Thai man for an arms consignment which included AK-series rifles.
According to the criminal court of Thailand, Willy can appeal against the order of the court within a month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part IV
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part II
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen