Chinese Army join I-Day celebrations at Nathu La
Nathu La (Sikkim): Giving thrust to bilateral confidence building measures (CBMs) on the Sino-India border, a delegation of Chinese army today joined their Indian counterparts in celebrating India`s Independence day at the border post in Nathu La.
Led by Senior Colonel Wang Ji Ping, the Chinese delegation crossed over to the Indian border post at a height of 14,130 feet and participated in the ceremony in which flags of both the nations were hoisted and national anthems sung.
The ceremony was held close to the zero border on the Nathu La pass here.
"This action is conducive to peace and tranquility and will maintain the trust between Chinese and Indian people. " Chinese delegation leader Wang Ji Ping said.
The flag hosting ceremony was followed by an interaction between Indian and Chinese delegations. Several Chinese officers had also brought their family members and children along for the celebrations.
The interaction, in which the camaraderie was clearly visible, went on for nearly two hours. As the Indian side performed bhangra and sang folk songs to entertain the visitors, the Chinese too participated enthusiastically and danced along with the hosts.
"The annual feature started after the confidence building measures which were put in place in 1993 after the treaty for border peace and tranquility," Brigadier Ravi Jhaldiyal, Commander 63 mountain brigade said.
Jhaldiyal led the Indian delegation in welcoming Chinese officers and their families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth