Chinese Defence Minister gives Rs 1 lakh as `gift` to IAF pilots
New Delhi: It was an unusual gift from Chinese Defence Minister Gen Liang Guang Lie to two Indian Air Force pilots -- Rs one lakh in cash.
The pilots were given cash in two envelopes after they flew the visiting minister by special IAF aircraft from Mumbai to Delhi on Monday, sources told PTI here on Wednesday.
They said after seeing off Liang, the pilots checked their `unusual gift` in sealed envelopes and then realised it was Rs one lakh cash in Indian currency.
The Captain of the aircraft then informed the Air Headquarters about the `gift` and it was decided that the money would be deposited in the Government depository (toshakhana), the sources said.
They said the money could not be returned to the Chinese Defence Minister due to sensitivities involved in it.
IAF officials said when Indian dignitaries travel on these aircraft for foreign trips, they gift ties and other small mementos as a token of appreciation to the aircraft crew.
Guang, who is on a five-day India visit, arrived in Mumbai on Sunday. The Defence Ministry had provided its aircraft for the inland travel of the visiting Minister.
Yesterday, before the beginning of the delegation-level talks, the Chinese Minister had thanked his Indian counterpart A K Antony for the arrangements made by India for him and his entourage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer? - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of India's first-ever indigenous space shuttle RLV-TD
- DNA: Analysis of Chabahar pact signed between India, Iran and Afghanistan
- Vijay Mallya PMLA case: ED to invoke India-UK MLAT for extradition
- IPL 2016, Qualifier 1: RCB vs GL - Squads, date, time, venue, TV listing, live streaming
- BJP govt cannot turn a blind eye to illegal immigration in Assam: RSS
- CBSE announces results of Central Teacher Eligibility Test
- PM Modi gifts Iran's Supreme leader Ayatollah Khamenei reproduction of rare Quran manuscript