Chinese Defence Minister to skip Amar Jawan Jyoti
New Delhi: On a five-day trip to India, Chinese Defence Minister Gen Liang Guanglie will skip a visit to the war memorial Amar Jawan Jyoti -- from where usually the foreign Defence Ministers begin their official engagements.
Gen Liang, whose bilateral meetings with Defence Minister will begin on Tuesday, will not be paying homage at the war memorial for the unknown Indian soldiers who lost their lives in the wars fought by the country including the 1962 Sino-Indian conflict, sources said here.
The Chinese side apparently did not want this visit to the memorial to be included in Gen Liang`s itinerary and the Indian side also did not press for it, they said.
India and China fought in a war in 1962 and interestingly, this year marks the 50th anniversary of that war. Traditionally, visiting Defence Ministers pay their homage at the martyrs’ memorial at India Gate before the formal bilateral meetings start.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city