Chinese Defence Minister to skip Amar Jawan Jyoti
New Delhi: On a five-day trip to India, Chinese Defence Minister Gen Liang Guanglie will skip a visit to the war memorial Amar Jawan Jyoti -- from where usually the foreign Defence Ministers begin their official engagements.
Gen Liang, whose bilateral meetings with Defence Minister will begin on Tuesday, will not be paying homage at the war memorial for the unknown Indian soldiers who lost their lives in the wars fought by the country including the 1962 Sino-Indian conflict, sources said here.
The Chinese side apparently did not want this visit to the memorial to be included in Gen Liang`s itinerary and the Indian side also did not press for it, they said.
India and China fought in a war in 1962 and interestingly, this year marks the 50th anniversary of that war. Traditionally, visiting Defence Ministers pay their homage at the martyrs’ memorial at India Gate before the formal bilateral meetings start.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened