Chinese Defence Minister to skip Amar Jawan Jyoti
New Delhi: On a five-day trip to India, Chinese Defence Minister Gen Liang Guanglie will skip a visit to the war memorial Amar Jawan Jyoti -- from where usually the foreign Defence Ministers begin their official engagements.
Gen Liang, whose bilateral meetings with Defence Minister will begin on Tuesday, will not be paying homage at the war memorial for the unknown Indian soldiers who lost their lives in the wars fought by the country including the 1962 Sino-Indian conflict, sources said here.
The Chinese side apparently did not want this visit to the memorial to be included in Gen Liang`s itinerary and the Indian side also did not press for it, they said.
India and China fought in a war in 1962 and interestingly, this year marks the 50th anniversary of that war. Traditionally, visiting Defence Ministers pay their homage at the martyrs’ memorial at India Gate before the formal bilateral meetings start.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!