Chinese Defence Minister to skip Amar Jawan Jyoti
New Delhi: Chinese Defence Minister Gen Liang Guanglie will have a packed schedule in India on Tuesday, but he will not be visiting Amar Jawan Jyoti, the war memorial for the unknown soldier, at India Gate, a customary stop for visiting defence ministers.
He will hold talks with his Indian counterpart AK Antony and meet the heads of all services. Gen Liang is also expected to call on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
This is the first visit by a Chinese Defence Minister in the last eight years.
Contacted to know why Gen Liang will not be visiting the war memorial, the Chinese embassy declined to comment on it. No reason has been ascribed, with officials saying it could be due to back-to-back meetings the Chinese Defence Minister has in New Delhi.
Incidentally, October 20, 2012 will be the 50th anniversary of the month-long war India and China fought in 1962.
Gen Liang`s visit comes just ahead of the once-in-a decade leadership change in China expected later this year.
Cao Gangchuan was the last Chinese Defence Minister to visit India in March 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!