Chinese Defence Minister to skip Amar Jawan Jyoti
New Delhi: Chinese Defence Minister Gen Liang Guanglie will have a packed schedule in India on Tuesday, but he will not be visiting Amar Jawan Jyoti, the war memorial for the unknown soldier, at India Gate, a customary stop for visiting defence ministers.
He will hold talks with his Indian counterpart AK Antony and meet the heads of all services. Gen Liang is also expected to call on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
This is the first visit by a Chinese Defence Minister in the last eight years.
Contacted to know why Gen Liang will not be visiting the war memorial, the Chinese embassy declined to comment on it. No reason has been ascribed, with officials saying it could be due to back-to-back meetings the Chinese Defence Minister has in New Delhi.
Incidentally, October 20, 2012 will be the 50th anniversary of the month-long war India and China fought in 1962.
Gen Liang`s visit comes just ahead of the once-in-a decade leadership change in China expected later this year.
Cao Gangchuan was the last Chinese Defence Minister to visit India in March 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka