Chinese guns favourite among terror groups in India
New Delhi: Products from China have not only
made inroads into the general Indian consumer market but also
the terror network here with Northeast insurgents, Jammu and
Kashmir militants and Naxalites taking up small arms from the
Records of foreign-made guns seized by Central security
agencies show that though terror groups in the country use
US-made and Italian arms, the favourite seems to be Chinese.
Of the 682 arms seized by the CRPF in 2009, 21 are
Chinese-made pistols of which 12 are from J&K, three from
Naxal-affected states besides six from the Northeast.
In comparison, seizure of Italian and US-made guns
totalled only to 10 with all them from the Northeast. The 10
arms seized by the CRPF are five Italian and three US-made
pistols besides two US-made rifles.
"Northeast militants are known to have used other foreign
guns besides AK 47s and AK 56s. But Naxals are starting to use
Chinese guns is new. Though the seizure is in small numbers,
intelligence reports suggest they are going in for more
foreign-made weapons especially Chinese," an official said.
He said the Chinese weapons are cheaper and easier to
procure than other foreign-made arms.
Interestingly, AK 47s were preferred most by the terror
groups besides country made arms, but AK 56 is also used.
The CRPF seized 61 AK 47 from J&K last year while it
seized three from Naxals and nine from Northeast states. It
also recovered 11 AK 56 from J&K and six from the N-E.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Soon, Skype will not run on these Windows, Android phones
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`; likely sole shooter
- 'EgyptAir Flight 804 broke up in midair after a fire'
- Warrants issued in Turkey for arrest of 300 Presidential Guards
- Democrat Hilary Clinton picks Kaine as vice presidential running mate