Chinese guns favourite among terror groups in India
New Delhi: Products from China have not only
made inroads into the general Indian consumer market but also
the terror network here with Northeast insurgents, Jammu and
Kashmir militants and Naxalites taking up small arms from the
Records of foreign-made guns seized by Central security
agencies show that though terror groups in the country use
US-made and Italian arms, the favourite seems to be Chinese.
Of the 682 arms seized by the CRPF in 2009, 21 are
Chinese-made pistols of which 12 are from J&K, three from
Naxal-affected states besides six from the Northeast.
In comparison, seizure of Italian and US-made guns
totalled only to 10 with all them from the Northeast. The 10
arms seized by the CRPF are five Italian and three US-made
pistols besides two US-made rifles.
"Northeast militants are known to have used other foreign
guns besides AK 47s and AK 56s. But Naxals are starting to use
Chinese guns is new. Though the seizure is in small numbers,
intelligence reports suggest they are going in for more
foreign-made weapons especially Chinese," an official said.
He said the Chinese weapons are cheaper and easier to
procure than other foreign-made arms.
Interestingly, AK 47s were preferred most by the terror
groups besides country made arms, but AK 56 is also used.
The CRPF seized 61 AK 47 from J&K last year while it
seized three from Naxals and nine from Northeast states. It
also recovered 11 AK 56 from J&K and six from the N-E.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations