Chinese guns favourite among terror groups in India
New Delhi: Products from China have not only
made inroads into the general Indian consumer market but also
the terror network here with Northeast insurgents, Jammu and
Kashmir militants and Naxalites taking up small arms from the
Records of foreign-made guns seized by Central security
agencies show that though terror groups in the country use
US-made and Italian arms, the favourite seems to be Chinese.
Of the 682 arms seized by the CRPF in 2009, 21 are
Chinese-made pistols of which 12 are from J&K, three from
Naxal-affected states besides six from the Northeast.
In comparison, seizure of Italian and US-made guns
totalled only to 10 with all them from the Northeast. The 10
arms seized by the CRPF are five Italian and three US-made
pistols besides two US-made rifles.
"Northeast militants are known to have used other foreign
guns besides AK 47s and AK 56s. But Naxals are starting to use
Chinese guns is new. Though the seizure is in small numbers,
intelligence reports suggest they are going in for more
foreign-made weapons especially Chinese," an official said.
He said the Chinese weapons are cheaper and easier to
procure than other foreign-made arms.
Interestingly, AK 47s were preferred most by the terror
groups besides country made arms, but AK 56 is also used.
The CRPF seized 61 AK 47 from J&K last year while it
seized three from Naxals and nine from Northeast states. It
also recovered 11 AK 56 from J&K and six from the N-E.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire