Chinese incursions in Uttarakhand figure in Rajya Sabha
New Delhi: Repeated incursions by Chinese troops into Indian territory in Uttarakhand was raised in the Rajya Sabha by BJP on Tuesday and a demand made to establish a Himalayan Region Development Commission for development of Himalayan border areas.
Making the demand during the Zero Hour, Tarun Vijay (BJP) said there have been 37 such incursions by the Chinese Army into Indian territory in Uttarakhand which shares a long boundary with China.
He said Uttarakhand had turned vulnerable as the entire border area is being emptied out due to migration by locals to ensure their safety.
"There have been intrusion 37 times. The entire border area of Uttarakhand is emptying out...I also talked to the NSA...While Chinese forces have made more roads, our armies have to carry the rackshacks on their feet for many kilometres.
"I demand that the government set up a Himalayan Region Development Commission for the development of Himalayan border areas," Vijay said.
He said the Chinese have also renamed Indian territories of Uttarakhand in their own language and made a specific reference to the Hoti area which has been renamed as "WooJu".
He said many areas of Uttarakhand like Neelam Khsehtra, Gunji, Mansarovar Lake where Mahatma Gandhi`s ashes were immersed are being affected and people moving to safer places leaving behind their homes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lightning strikes German football pitch, 35 hurt, 3 seriously
- People's faith in our work renewed our vigour: PM Modi at India Gate
- IPL 2016: Virat Kohli praises rival captain David Warner, predicts tough final against Sunrisers Hyderabad
- OnePlus to open service centres in India, guarantees 1 hour turnaround time
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd Test: Chris Woakes, Moeen Ali pile pressure on visitors on Day 2