Chiranjeevi merges Praja Rajyam Party with Congress
New Delhi: Nearly 30 months after launching his party with much fanfare, Praja Rajyam chief Chiranjeevi on Sunday announced its merger with Congress, which is trying to counter the possible threat posed by YS Jaganmohan Reddy in Andhra Pradesh.
Emerging after a 15-minute meeting with Congress president Sonia Gandhi, Chiranjeevi said the decision was taken keeping in mind the "best interests" of the people of Andhra Pradesh as both Congress and PRP fight for social justice.
"We have decided to merge PRP with the Congress. The decision has been taken without any condition. There are no conditions at all," Chiranjeevi told reporters outside Gandhi`s residence.
AICC general secretary in-charge for Andhra Pradesh M Veerappa Moily said, "Chiranjeevi has merged his party with the Congress. He has now become a member of the Congress family. I am quite happy."
Defence Minister AK Antony, who had met Chiranjeevi in Hyderabad recently and invited him for talks with Gandhi, was also present in the meeting.
Asked whether the move was to counter the threat posed by Jaganmohan, Moily said "We are not against anybody. The move is just to strengthen the Congress. We are not against any personality."
Chiranjeevi insisted that the merger has been agreed upon without any pre-conditions and that he has no "selfish motives".
"I do not expect anything at all. Not at all. I will be what I am today," he said in response to queries on whether he would join the N Kiran Kumar Reddy cabinet.
The PRP has 18 MLAs in the 294-member state Assembly.
While Congress` strength is 155, Jagan camp claims to
have the support of at least 25 MLAs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog