Chiranjeevi to meet Sonia Gandhi on Sunday
Hyderabad: Praja Rajyam Party (PRP) chief K. Chiranjeevi will meet Congress president Sonia Gandhi in New Delhi on Sunday to discuss proposals including the merger of his party with the Congress
The meeting is taking place at the invitation of the Congress president. Senior Congress leader and Defence Minister A.K. Antony had visited Hyderabad and met Chiranjeevi last week to invite him for the talks.
Worried over the threat posed by former party MP Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy to its government in Andhra Pradesh, the Congress is trying to woo the PRP to either merge with it or join the government.
The PRP has 18 legislators in the 294-member assembly. With 156 members, Congress enjoys a slender majority.
But at least two dozen of its legislators are reportedly planning to switch loyalties to Jaganmohan Reddy, who quit the Congress in November last year and is planning to float a new party.
The actor-turned-politician, who held consultations with party legislators and senior leaders during the last two days, will hear the proposals from Sonia Gandhi and will then respond, said a party leader.
A section of PRP leaders is opposed to the merger, but majority of the legislators back a tie-up with the ruling party.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today