Chopper deal: CBI receives more documents from Def Min
New Delhi: CBI has received from the Defence Ministry more documents relating to show cause notices issued by it to the firms made accused by the agency for alleged kickbacks paid by them to clinch 12 VVIP helicopter deal in their favour.
CBI also plans to start questioning of the accused soon.
CBI sources said the Defence Ministry has issued the notices to Italy-based Finmeccanica and UK-based AgustaWestland after their names had surfaced during the preliminary enquiry conducted by the agency in connection with the alleged payoffs in the Rs 3600-crore deal.
They said a meeting was recently held with the officials of the Defence Ministry wherein the show cause notices and the response from AgustaWestland were handed over to the agency.
The Ministry had asked the firm why the deal should not be cancelled in view of corruption charges against it.
The firm had replied to the letter denying any wrongdoing in the deal but Defence Minister A K Antony had rejected the response of the company.
The sources said Defence Ministry has provided all the documents related the deal which are part of scrutiny process and plans for sequence of questioning are being finalised.
They said agency is also working on information it requires from abroad to buttress its bribery allegations against Finmeccanica and AgustaWestland besides middlemen involved in making these alleged payoffs to cousins of former Air Chief S P Tyagi and other individuals.
After finalising, the agency is likely to dispatch its query in the form of judicial requests, also known as Letters Rogatory, to four countries--the UK, Italy, Mauritius and Tunisia--to track the money trail through which funds were brought into India to facilitate the bribe payment.
S P Tyagi was booked by CBI along with 12 others, for alleged cheating, corruption and criminal conspiracy in the deal and searches were carried out at 14 locations including his the former IAF chief`s residence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow