Chopper deal: Congress dismisses BJP attack on Antony
New Delhi: Congress on Monday dismissed BJP`s attack on Defence Minister AK Antony over the VVIP chopper deal, saying the Opposition party "does not even know the meaning and spelling of honesty".
"This will happen if BJP examines others, too, with its own yardstick. BJP doesn`t even know the meaning or spelling of honesty. And now they are having doubts about even Antony," party spokesperson Renuka Chowdhary told reporters here.
She was responding to a question on the allegation of BJP that dubious deals have happened during the tenure of Antony as the Defence Minister.
The party spokesperson also sought to downplay BJP`s contention that Congress should come clean on reports on the chopper deal alleging that close associates of a former Union minister and a Congress vice president were beneficiaries.
"It is not enough for a name to come floating. It needs to substantiated with facts. Be assured that if anybody is guilty then there is no question of us protecting" the person, Chowdhary said.
She, at the same time, said that names were being mentioned randomly without substantiation.
The Congress spokesperson also attacked BJP amid indications that the main Opposition party may disrupt Parliament on the chopper deal issue.
"Whatever clarifications BJP needs, the party should come and ask in the House. We have never said that we won`t reply to questions. So, why is it shying away from coming to Parliament and raising these issues?" she asked.
BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy has said that his party will raise this issue strongly in Parliament.
"This is a monumental scam in which kickbacks of Rs 360 crore were paid. Antony is now giving several orders and statements and is struggling to keep his `Mr Clean` image. But the fact remains that he has been the Defence Minister since October 24, 2006," Rudy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset