Chopper deal: Congress dismisses BJP attack on Antony
New Delhi: Congress on Monday dismissed BJP`s attack on Defence Minister AK Antony over the VVIP chopper deal, saying the Opposition party "does not even know the meaning and spelling of honesty".
"This will happen if BJP examines others, too, with its own yardstick. BJP doesn`t even know the meaning or spelling of honesty. And now they are having doubts about even Antony," party spokesperson Renuka Chowdhary told reporters here.
She was responding to a question on the allegation of BJP that dubious deals have happened during the tenure of Antony as the Defence Minister.
The party spokesperson also sought to downplay BJP`s contention that Congress should come clean on reports on the chopper deal alleging that close associates of a former Union minister and a Congress vice president were beneficiaries.
"It is not enough for a name to come floating. It needs to substantiated with facts. Be assured that if anybody is guilty then there is no question of us protecting" the person, Chowdhary said.
She, at the same time, said that names were being mentioned randomly without substantiation.
The Congress spokesperson also attacked BJP amid indications that the main Opposition party may disrupt Parliament on the chopper deal issue.
"Whatever clarifications BJP needs, the party should come and ask in the House. We have never said that we won`t reply to questions. So, why is it shying away from coming to Parliament and raising these issues?" she asked.
BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy has said that his party will raise this issue strongly in Parliament.
"This is a monumental scam in which kickbacks of Rs 360 crore were paid. Antony is now giving several orders and statements and is struggling to keep his `Mr Clean` image. But the fact remains that he has been the Defence Minister since October 24, 2006," Rudy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India