Chopper deal: Congress dismisses BJP attack on Antony
New Delhi: Congress on Monday dismissed BJP`s attack on Defence Minister AK Antony over the VVIP chopper deal, saying the Opposition party "does not even know the meaning and spelling of honesty".
"This will happen if BJP examines others, too, with its own yardstick. BJP doesn`t even know the meaning or spelling of honesty. And now they are having doubts about even Antony," party spokesperson Renuka Chowdhary told reporters here.
She was responding to a question on the allegation of BJP that dubious deals have happened during the tenure of Antony as the Defence Minister.
The party spokesperson also sought to downplay BJP`s contention that Congress should come clean on reports on the chopper deal alleging that close associates of a former Union minister and a Congress vice president were beneficiaries.
"It is not enough for a name to come floating. It needs to substantiated with facts. Be assured that if anybody is guilty then there is no question of us protecting" the person, Chowdhary said.
She, at the same time, said that names were being mentioned randomly without substantiation.
The Congress spokesperson also attacked BJP amid indications that the main Opposition party may disrupt Parliament on the chopper deal issue.
"Whatever clarifications BJP needs, the party should come and ask in the House. We have never said that we won`t reply to questions. So, why is it shying away from coming to Parliament and raising these issues?" she asked.
BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy has said that his party will raise this issue strongly in Parliament.
"This is a monumental scam in which kickbacks of Rs 360 crore were paid. Antony is now giving several orders and statements and is struggling to keep his `Mr Clean` image. But the fact remains that he has been the Defence Minister since October 24, 2006," Rudy said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list