Chopper deal: Def Min asks vendors to extend commercial offer
New Delhi: In view of delays in the tender to procure 197 light helicopters, the Defence Ministry has asked the two vendors in the race for the multi-billion dollar deal to extend the validity of their commercial offer.
"One of the firms, European Eurocopter has told the Ministry that `in absence of any visibility regarding the finalisation of the case, we are unable to grant a further extension to our commercial offer`," defence sources told PTI.
The other company in the over 48-month-old tender is Russian Kamov, which is offering its Ka-226 Sergei choppers.
The 197 light helicopters are being procured by the Army and the IAF to replace their fleet of vintage Cheetah/Chetak fleet of choppers, which are critical for providing supplies to troops deployed in Siachen Glacier and other high altitude areas.
"In a letter written to Director General (Acquisition) S B Agnihotri, Eurocopter has said it `shares concern regarding the delay of the on going procurement case considering the importance of this programme for the Indian armed forces`," they said.
The field evaluation trials have been concluded at the end of 2010 but there is no indication concerning the start of the commercial negotiations which has become a serious concern for them, the European company has told the ministry.
The Eurocopter has sought a "clarification from the Defence Ministry regarding the expected time frame of this procurement programme," the sources said.
The trials of the two helicopters in the race were completed in December 2010. Army Aviation Corps had submitted trial reports to the Defence Ministry after the trials.
The project has been delayed by more than five years as the earlier tender had to be cancelled at the last moment in 2007 after a five-year process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand