Chopper deal: Orsi denies knowing the family of former Air Chief
New Delhi: Former Finmeccanica CEO Giuseppe Orsi has denied knowing the family of Air Chief Marshal S P Tyagi in the ongoing investigations in Italy into the alleged payment of kickbacks of Rs 362 for supplying 12 VVIP choppers to India.
Orsi was arrested earlier this week by the Italian investigators in connection with the Rs 3,600 crore deal.
Appearing before an Italian magistrate there, Orsi said "three Nos" to queries about any mandate to the Swiss-American Guido Hashcke for "any type of manoeuvre" for the operation of Indian, knowing the Tyagi family and about adopting "illegal manoeuvres for the deal, Orsi`s lawyer Ennio Amodio was quoted as saying by Italian news agency ANSA.
Haschke has been alleged to be one of the middlemen acting on behalf of Orsi for swinging the deal in favour of AgustaWestland.
Amodio said Haschke`s statement about Orsi`s role in the deal "may have been inspired by someone" as he has "radically changed compared to the initial version".
Orsi`s lawyer also denied that his client had in any way tried to pressurize the Italian court looking into the matter and getting the prosecutor changed.
Orsi resigned yesterday as the Chairman and Director of the Company.
India has already initiated steps to cancel the helicopter deal and issued a show cause notice to it saying why the deal should not be cancelled in view of the recent developments in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog