Chopper deal: Proposal to purchase 197 light helicopters put off
New Delhi: A decision to procure 197 light helicopters which have come under scrutiny over allegations of deviation from the tendering process was put off on Tuesday, a move that comes against the backdrop of a scam in another chopper deal involving complainant AgustaWestland of Italy.
The Defence Ministry`s Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), headed by Minister AK Antony, did not take up the issue related to purchase of the light helicopters for the Army and IAF at an estimated cost of USD 1.5 billion (around Rs 8000 crore), sources said.
The sources contended that the issue was not considered as Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh is on a tour to Japan.
The proposal to purchase the light helicopters has been under scrutiny after allegations that the conditions of Request for Proposal were not adhered to by the two vendors -- European Eurocopter and Russian Kamov.
The DAC was to consider the report of a Special Technical Oversight Committee (STOC) which went into allegations about non-compliance by one of the two contending vendors with the terms and conditions of the Request for Proposal.
The allegations, mainly by AgustaWestland, were that one of the vendors had made changes in the structure of its chopper by adding a bubble bulge to carry injured troops on stretcher.
There were also allegations about non-certification of engines of the Russian chopper in the race, sources said.
For the tender floated in 2008, Eurocopter`s AS 350 Fennec and Russian Kamov`s 226 `Sergei` have been shortlisted while AgustaWestland was knocked out in the initial round of scrutiny for not meeting the requirements.
Recently, allegations had surfaced in Italy that bribes were demanded by officers involved in the trial process of light helicopters from AgustaWestland.
The deferment comes against the backdrop of a major scam unfolding with regard to the 2010 deal for procuring 12 helicopters for Indian VVIPs from AugustaWestland, with allegations that around Rs 352 crore were paid as kickbacks in the Rs 3600 crore contract.
The 197 light helicopters are to replace the ageing Chetak and Cheetah helicopters, which are critical for providing supplies to troops deployed in Siachen Glacier and other high altitude areas.
Earlier also, a tender was scrapped in 2007 when it was in the final stages of negotiations with Eurocopter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?