Chopper deal: Proposal to purchase 197 light helicopters put off
New Delhi: A decision to procure 197 light helicopters which have come under scrutiny over allegations of deviation from the tendering process was put off on Tuesday, a move that comes against the backdrop of a scam in another chopper deal involving complainant AgustaWestland of Italy.
The Defence Ministry`s Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), headed by Minister AK Antony, did not take up the issue related to purchase of the light helicopters for the Army and IAF at an estimated cost of USD 1.5 billion (around Rs 8000 crore), sources said.
The sources contended that the issue was not considered as Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh is on a tour to Japan.
The proposal to purchase the light helicopters has been under scrutiny after allegations that the conditions of Request for Proposal were not adhered to by the two vendors -- European Eurocopter and Russian Kamov.
The DAC was to consider the report of a Special Technical Oversight Committee (STOC) which went into allegations about non-compliance by one of the two contending vendors with the terms and conditions of the Request for Proposal.
The allegations, mainly by AgustaWestland, were that one of the vendors had made changes in the structure of its chopper by adding a bubble bulge to carry injured troops on stretcher.
There were also allegations about non-certification of engines of the Russian chopper in the race, sources said.
For the tender floated in 2008, Eurocopter`s AS 350 Fennec and Russian Kamov`s 226 `Sergei` have been shortlisted while AgustaWestland was knocked out in the initial round of scrutiny for not meeting the requirements.
Recently, allegations had surfaced in Italy that bribes were demanded by officers involved in the trial process of light helicopters from AgustaWestland.
The deferment comes against the backdrop of a major scam unfolding with regard to the 2010 deal for procuring 12 helicopters for Indian VVIPs from AugustaWestland, with allegations that around Rs 352 crore were paid as kickbacks in the Rs 3600 crore contract.
The 197 light helicopters are to replace the ageing Chetak and Cheetah helicopters, which are critical for providing supplies to troops deployed in Siachen Glacier and other high altitude areas.
Earlier also, a tender was scrapped in 2007 when it was in the final stages of negotiations with Eurocopter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked