Chopper scam: BJP demands SC monitored probe
New Delhi: Not satisfied with a CBI probe into the alleged corruption in the deal to buy 12 choppers for VVIPs, the BJP on Thursday demanded that the matter be probed under the supervision of the Supreme Court.
"The probe will be completed in a time-bound manner and will show results only if it is monitored by the Supreme Court. Else there will be a cover-up," BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar was quoted as saying.
Yesterday, Defence Minister AK Antony had pledged "strongest action" if it is proved that bribes swung the $750 million deal for 12 VVIP helicopters for the IAF, as the Opposition prepared to raise a storm in Parliament opening a week later.
Antony said the CBI had been asked to conduct an early inquiry after Italian authorities arrested the head of Finmeccanica company on corruption charges.
"I can assure you that the moment we get a report from CBI, we will take strongest action provided in the integrity pact," Antony said. This would include "cancellation of the contract and blacklisting the companies".
"We are examining everything. If (contractual) terms have been violated, we will take the strongest action. We are not bothered about who they are or how big they are," Antony added.
The contract for the helicopters was signed in February 2010. The IAF sought the choppers as a replacement for its Mi-17 cargo helicopters which had been modified for VVIP deployment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state