Chouhan, Nitish don skull cap as they greet Muslims on Eid
Bhopal/Patna: Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Friday sported a skull cap while greeting Muslims on the occasion of Id-ul-Fitr, a gesture prompting a suggestion that his Gujarat counterpart Narendra Modi should not show his "aversion" to this headgear.
State Congress unit president Kantilal Bhuria and former Union Minister Suresh Pachouri also covered their head with skull caps while sharing the dais with Chouhan at the Idgah in Bhopal.
Film actor Raza Murad, who was present at the Idgah, appreciated the BJP leader`s gesture of putting on a skull cap but at the same time took an indirect swipe at Modi.
"I do not think much importance should be given to sporting a skull cap as wearing it does not mean anything much," the actor said.
However, the actor quipped that it was time that Modi learnt some things from Chouhan and does not show his "aversion" to skull caps.
Modi, the Chief of BJP`s Election Campaign Committee, tweeted an `Eid Mubarak" message, saying, "May everyone in the country be blessed with happiness, peace, prosperity and good health."
Modi had refused to put on a skull cap offered by a Muslim cleric during his sadbhavana fast in Ahmedabad in September 2011.
The Chief Minister asked the cleric to offer a shawl instead. The Imam did so, and Modi was seen accepting it during his fast he undertook at a Gujarat University Convention hall.
In Bihar, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar also wore a skull cap and visited several places to greet people on the occasion and prayed for the progress of the state.
At a prayer at the Gandhi Maidan, the chief minister was given a skull cap which he wore and prayed for prosperity and growth and eradication of poverty in the state. Later, he ate "sewai" with children.
The Chairman of Minority Commission Naushad Ahmad accompanied the leader of the JD(U) which snapped its 17-year-old alliance with BJP in June.
Kumar also visited Khanhaq Mujiabiya at Phulsharif and extended is greetings to Pir Saheb Sajjadanarsi Hajrat Maulana Sayyed Shah Hayatullah Kadri.
The chief minister paid a visit to Emarat-E-Shariah and met Amir-E-Shariat Hajrat Maulana Nezamuddin and Secretary Maulana Anisurahman Kasmi.
BJP spokesperson Meenakshi Lekhi dismissed Murad`s observation on Modi.
"He is a reel life villain who is discussing a real life hero. What can be more ironical than that?"
Murad is known most for the negative roles that he has portrayed in Bollywood films.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video