Christ, Buddha played a progressive role: Yechury
New Delhi: Amid controversy over portrayal of religious figures by the Left in Kerala, CPI (M) on Monday said Jesus Christ and the Buddha had played a "progressive role" in the society in the concrete situations prevailing during their
"They (Christ and the Buddha) had played a progressive role in the concrete situations prevailing during their times," CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury told reporters here.
He was asked about the display of a painting of Christ alongside Communist icons at an exhibition in Kerala and a billboard carrying a political spoof on Leonardo da Vinci`s masterpiece `The Last Supper`.
The billboard, depicting US President Barack Obama at a table along with senior Congress and BJP leaders, was titled `The Last Supper of Capitalism`.
Yechury said while there was no intention to belittle the ideals of Christ or the Buddha, they had played a positive role during their times.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday