Christ, Buddha played a progressive role: Yechury
New Delhi: Amid controversy over portrayal of religious figures by the Left in Kerala, CPI (M) on Monday said Jesus Christ and the Buddha had played a "progressive role" in the society in the concrete situations prevailing during their
"They (Christ and the Buddha) had played a progressive role in the concrete situations prevailing during their times," CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury told reporters here.
He was asked about the display of a painting of Christ alongside Communist icons at an exhibition in Kerala and a billboard carrying a political spoof on Leonardo da Vinci`s masterpiece `The Last Supper`.
The billboard, depicting US President Barack Obama at a table along with senior Congress and BJP leaders, was titled `The Last Supper of Capitalism`.
Yechury said while there was no intention to belittle the ideals of Christ or the Buddha, they had played a positive role during their times.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why