Christ, Buddha played a progressive role: Yechury
New Delhi: Amid controversy over portrayal of religious figures by the Left in Kerala, CPI (M) on Monday said Jesus Christ and the Buddha had played a "progressive role" in the society in the concrete situations prevailing during their
"They (Christ and the Buddha) had played a progressive role in the concrete situations prevailing during their times," CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury told reporters here.
He was asked about the display of a painting of Christ alongside Communist icons at an exhibition in Kerala and a billboard carrying a political spoof on Leonardo da Vinci`s masterpiece `The Last Supper`.
The billboard, depicting US President Barack Obama at a table along with senior Congress and BJP leaders, was titled `The Last Supper of Capitalism`.
Yechury said while there was no intention to belittle the ideals of Christ or the Buddha, they had played a positive role during their times.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed