Christ, Buddha played a progressive role: Yechury
New Delhi: Amid controversy over portrayal of religious figures by the Left in Kerala, CPI (M) on Monday said Jesus Christ and the Buddha had played a "progressive role" in the society in the concrete situations prevailing during their
"They (Christ and the Buddha) had played a progressive role in the concrete situations prevailing during their times," CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury told reporters here.
He was asked about the display of a painting of Christ alongside Communist icons at an exhibition in Kerala and a billboard carrying a political spoof on Leonardo da Vinci`s masterpiece `The Last Supper`.
The billboard, depicting US President Barack Obama at a table along with senior Congress and BJP leaders, was titled `The Last Supper of Capitalism`.
Yechury said while there was no intention to belittle the ideals of Christ or the Buddha, they had played a positive role during their times.
- ‘Kaabil’ Hrithik Roshan’s first look out – Here it is
- Champions League: Real Madrid edge past Manchester City to set up all-Madrid final
- AgustaWestland chopper deal: ED to quiz former IAF chief SP Tyagi today
- Sushant Singh Rajput reveals why his ‘Pavitra Rishta’ with Ankita Lokhande ended
- IPL 2016: Shah Rukh Khan thinks his son AbRam could be a mystery fielder – Find out why