Christ, Buddha played a progressive role: Yechury
New Delhi: Amid controversy over portrayal of religious figures by the Left in Kerala, CPI (M) on Monday said Jesus Christ and the Buddha had played a "progressive role" in the society in the concrete situations prevailing during their
"They (Christ and the Buddha) had played a progressive role in the concrete situations prevailing during their times," CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury told reporters here.
He was asked about the display of a painting of Christ alongside Communist icons at an exhibition in Kerala and a billboard carrying a political spoof on Leonardo da Vinci`s masterpiece `The Last Supper`.
The billboard, depicting US President Barack Obama at a table along with senior Congress and BJP leaders, was titled `The Last Supper of Capitalism`.
Yechury said while there was no intention to belittle the ideals of Christ or the Buddha, they had played a positive role during their times.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends