Christian leaders distressed over conviction of Binayak Sen
Shillong: The All India Christian Council (AICC) on Sunday expressed "deep distress" at the "systematic targeting and persecution" of human rights activists Binayak Sen and Teesta Setalvad by government agencies as well as by organized groups.
In a statement, the AICC regional secretary Madhu Chandra, said, "India’s future as a vibrant secular democracy requires an abiding commitment to civil liberties and human dignity of its citizens."
The AICC also listed "erosion of freedom of faith and disregard of special rights for vulnerable sections" such as tribals and dalits as "major issues" facing the nation.
The Christian Council wished all fellow citizens peace, security, and a share in the national prosperity. "Freedom of faith and human rights were special victims last year and the last decade. We recall the anti-Muslim pogrom in Gujarat in
2002 and the pre-planned mass violence against Christians in
Kandhamal and other districts of Orissa as well as Karnataka,"
Joseph D’souza, AICC president said.
D’souza urged the Union government to "proactively resolve the unprecedented prison term" for humanist physician
Binayak Sen and bring to an end the "harassment of brave
activist" Teesta Setalvad who, according to him is "currently
targeted" by both state and rightwing fundamentalist
"We call upon the government to ensure that a bill
against communal violence is brought before Parliament which
fully addresses the fears of micro-minorities such as the
Christians in India. The Christian Council fully supports the
demands of dalit Christians and Muslims and we hope the
government and Supreme Court grant them justice in 2011," the release read.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Kohli-Dhoni stand keeps India in hunt
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'