Christian leaders distressed over conviction of Binayak Sen
Shillong: The All India Christian Council (AICC) on Sunday expressed "deep distress" at the "systematic targeting and persecution" of human rights activists Binayak Sen and Teesta Setalvad by government agencies as well as by organized groups.
In a statement, the AICC regional secretary Madhu Chandra, said, "India’s future as a vibrant secular democracy requires an abiding commitment to civil liberties and human dignity of its citizens."
The AICC also listed "erosion of freedom of faith and disregard of special rights for vulnerable sections" such as tribals and dalits as "major issues" facing the nation.
The Christian Council wished all fellow citizens peace, security, and a share in the national prosperity. "Freedom of faith and human rights were special victims last year and the last decade. We recall the anti-Muslim pogrom in Gujarat in
2002 and the pre-planned mass violence against Christians in
Kandhamal and other districts of Orissa as well as Karnataka,"
Joseph D’souza, AICC president said.
D’souza urged the Union government to "proactively resolve the unprecedented prison term" for humanist physician
Binayak Sen and bring to an end the "harassment of brave
activist" Teesta Setalvad who, according to him is "currently
targeted" by both state and rightwing fundamentalist
"We call upon the government to ensure that a bill
against communal violence is brought before Parliament which
fully addresses the fears of micro-minorities such as the
Christians in India. The Christian Council fully supports the
demands of dalit Christians and Muslims and we hope the
government and Supreme Court grant them justice in 2011," the release read.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- This picture of an IAS officer has gone viral on social media - know why
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2016: Wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in class 10th X Result 2016 West Bengal Board is likely to be announced on May 10, 2016
- Four months after Pathankot terror attack, bodies of 4 terrorists buried
- These five super-foods will help you lose weight in the summer!
- Chopper deal: No evidence to link politicians with AgustaWestland bribes, says Italian judge who delivered verdict