Christian leaders distressed over conviction of Binayak Sen
Shillong: The All India Christian Council (AICC) on Sunday expressed "deep distress" at the "systematic targeting and persecution" of human rights activists Binayak Sen and Teesta Setalvad by government agencies as well as by organized groups.
In a statement, the AICC regional secretary Madhu Chandra, said, "India’s future as a vibrant secular democracy requires an abiding commitment to civil liberties and human dignity of its citizens."
The AICC also listed "erosion of freedom of faith and disregard of special rights for vulnerable sections" such as tribals and dalits as "major issues" facing the nation.
The Christian Council wished all fellow citizens peace, security, and a share in the national prosperity. "Freedom of faith and human rights were special victims last year and the last decade. We recall the anti-Muslim pogrom in Gujarat in
2002 and the pre-planned mass violence against Christians in
Kandhamal and other districts of Orissa as well as Karnataka,"
Joseph D’souza, AICC president said.
D’souza urged the Union government to "proactively resolve the unprecedented prison term" for humanist physician
Binayak Sen and bring to an end the "harassment of brave
activist" Teesta Setalvad who, according to him is "currently
targeted" by both state and rightwing fundamentalist
"We call upon the government to ensure that a bill
against communal violence is brought before Parliament which
fully addresses the fears of micro-minorities such as the
Christians in India. The Christian Council fully supports the
demands of dalit Christians and Muslims and we hope the
government and Supreme Court grant them justice in 2011," the release read.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- NIA reveals why ISIS bigger threat to India than Pakistani terrorists - Read details
- How to prevent obesity, eating disorders in teenagers
- Flood situation in Bihar under control: CM Nitish Kumar
- Teenaged Dalit girl gang-raped in UP's Aligarh
- Stem Cell treatment is effective in recovery of spinal injuries