Christian leaders distressed over conviction of Binayak Sen
Shillong: The All India Christian Council (AICC) on Sunday expressed "deep distress" at the "systematic targeting and persecution" of human rights activists Binayak Sen and Teesta Setalvad by government agencies as well as by organized groups.
In a statement, the AICC regional secretary Madhu Chandra, said, "India’s future as a vibrant secular democracy requires an abiding commitment to civil liberties and human dignity of its citizens."
The AICC also listed "erosion of freedom of faith and disregard of special rights for vulnerable sections" such as tribals and dalits as "major issues" facing the nation.
The Christian Council wished all fellow citizens peace, security, and a share in the national prosperity. "Freedom of faith and human rights were special victims last year and the last decade. We recall the anti-Muslim pogrom in Gujarat in
2002 and the pre-planned mass violence against Christians in
Kandhamal and other districts of Orissa as well as Karnataka,"
Joseph D’souza, AICC president said.
D’souza urged the Union government to "proactively resolve the unprecedented prison term" for humanist physician
Binayak Sen and bring to an end the "harassment of brave
activist" Teesta Setalvad who, according to him is "currently
targeted" by both state and rightwing fundamentalist
"We call upon the government to ensure that a bill
against communal violence is brought before Parliament which
fully addresses the fears of micro-minorities such as the
Christians in India. The Christian Council fully supports the
demands of dalit Christians and Muslims and we hope the
government and Supreme Court grant them justice in 2011," the release read.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Brexit 'wake-up call for Europe', says Austrian President Heinz Fischer
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death