Christians demand restricted holidays for Good Friday, Easter
Mumbai: The Catholic Secular Forum (CSF) has in a memorandum to the government demanded March 29 and March 31 as restricted holidays to enable Christian officials observe Good Friday and Easter Sunday.
"We urge the government to consider a restricted holiday at least on March 29 and March 31 for the benefit of the Christians, and if need be the last date for filing financial returns can be extended by a day," CSF said in the memorandum to the prime minister and the finance minister.
CSF has objected to the diktat issued by certain central government departments to keep their offices open March 29 this year, which happens to be Good Friday.
This means that Christian employees in departments like income tax, customs and central excise would be compelled to work on Good Friday and also during the Holy Week ending March 31, CSF general secretary Joseph Dias said here Sunday.
He added that the Central Board of Direct Taxes has issued a circular asking all employees to work on March 31, the Easter Sunday, when Christendom has its biggest feast.
"It means that Christian employees will work on the day of Christ`s crucifiction, the Holy Saturday of prayer and the Easter Sunday to enable people file their tax returns for the financial year," Dias said.
The official diktat would prevent the Christian employees from fulfilling their religious Lenten observances which culminate after over 40 days of prayers, fasting and abstinence, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!