Christians usher in Easter celebrations across India
Mumbai/Bhopal: Christians attended holy mass on Easter, the day of resurrection of Jesus Christ at various churches across the country on Sunday.
Devotees flocked to brightly decorated churches in Mumbai and offered prayers during midnight mass to usher in the celebrations.
"As I said, it`s the biggest festival in the holy calendar for us, it is even bigger than Christmas generally so there is a lot of meet and greet which generally happens and families come together. The traditional way of celebrating is that you get a sweet which is called an Easter egg and people will probably share it with friends and family and that is how you celebrate the auspicious celebration," said Savio, devotee.
Meanwhile, in Bhopal, faithful devotees led a procession to mark the resurrection of Christ.
"We are celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ, as we get pardoned off our sins on this day and hence we celebrate it," added Abraham, a devotee.
The story of Easter is at the heart of the Christian faith. On Good Friday, Christ was executed by crucifixion after which his body was buried in a cave.
The tomb was guarded and an enormous stone was placed over the entrance, so that no one could steal the body.
On the following Sunday, some women visited the grave and found that the stone had been moved and the tomb was empty.
Christ himself was seen that day and for many days later by many people. His followers came to realise that God had raised Christ from the dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot