Chronology of 26/11 attacks and Ajmal Kasab’s trial
New Delhi: Following is the chronology of events in 26/11 terror attack case in which the Supreme Court on Wednesday upheld the death sentence of lone Pakistani terrorist Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab:
Nov 26, 2008: Kasab and 9 terrorists launch commando raid in Mumbai.
Nov 27, 2008: At 1.30 am, Kasab caught and placed under arrest, admitted to Nair Hospital.
Nov 29, 2008: All places under siege secured, 9 terrorists killed.
Nov 30, 2008: Kasab confesses before police.
Dec 27/28, 2008: Identification parade held.
Jan 13, 2009: M L Tahaliyani appointed 26/11 judge.
Jan 16, 2009: Arthur Road Jail selected for Kasab`s trial.
Feb 5, 2009: Kasab`s DNA samples match with articles found in Kuber.
Feb 20/21, 2009: Kasab makes confession before magistrate.
Feb 22, 2009: Ujjwal Nikam appointed Special Public Prosecutor.
Feb 25, 2009: Charge sheet against Kasab, two others filed in court.
Apr 1, 2009: Anjali Waghmare appointed Kasab`s lawyer.
Apr 15, 2009: Anjali Waghmare removed as Kasab`s lawyer.
Apr 16, 2009: Abbas Kazmi appointed as Kasab`s lawyer.
Apr 17, 2009: Kasab`s confession opened in court, he retracts.
Apr 20, 2009: Prosecution charges Kasab on 312 counts.
Apr 29, 2009: Kasab is major: experts` opinion.
May 6, 2009: Charges framed, Kasab charged on 86 counts, but denies charges.
May 8, 2009: First eyewitness deposes, identifies Kasab.
June 23, 2009: Non-bailable warrants issued against 22 including Hafeez Saeed, Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi.
Nov 30, 2009: Abbas Kazmi removed as Kasab`s lawyer.
Dec 1, 2009: K P Pawar takes place of Kazmi.
Dec 16, 2009: Prosecution completes its case in 26/11.
Dec 18, 2009: Kasab denies all charges.
March 31, 2010: Arguments in the case end. Special Judge M L Tahaliyani reserves judgement for May 3, 2010.
May 3, 2010: Kasab convicted, Sabauddin Ahmed and Faheem Ansari acquitted of all charges.
May 6, 2010: Kasab was sentenced to death by the trial court.
Feb 21, 2011: Bombay High Court upholds death sentence to Kasab.
March 2011: Kasab writes letter to SC challenging HC order.
Oct 10, 2011: SC stays execution of the death sentence awarded to Pakistani terrorist Kasab.
Oct 10, 2011: Kasab tells SC that he was brainwashed like a "robot" into committing the heinous crime in the name of "God" and that he does not deserve capital punishment owing to his young age.
Oct 18, 2011: The Supreme Court admits Maharashtra government`s appeal challenging the acquittal of Faheem Ansari and Sabauddin Ahmed, co-accused of Ajmal Kasab, in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack.
Jan 31, 2012: Kasab tells SC that he was not given a free and fair trial in the case.
Feb 23, 2012: SC hears intercepted conversations between the perpetrators of 26/11 Mumbai terror attack and their Pakistani handlers and watched the CCTV footage of the carnage.
Apr 25, 2012: SC reserves its verdict after a marathon hearing, spanning over two and a half month.
Aug 29, 2012: SC upholds death sentence of Kasab and acquittal of two alleged Indian co-conspirators in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal