Chronology of Baba Ramdev`s movement
New Delhi: Following is the chronology of events leading to mid-night police action bringing to an end Ramdev`s fast at Ramlila Maidan:
June 1: Arrival of Yoga Guru from Ujjain at Delhi Airport. Four senior Union Ministers -- Pranab Mukherjee, Kapil Sibal, PK Bansal and Subodh Kant Sahay -- meet and discuss issues with him on eradication of corruption and black
June 2: Back-channel talks held between the two sides.
June 3: Ramdev holds talks with Sibal and Sahay. Both sides claim consensus on most of the issues. In the evening, Ramdev announces his decision to go ahead with the hunger
strike. Government releases item-wise response to Ramdev`s demands.
June 4: Fast begins at Ramlila Maidan. In the evening government makes public a letter from Ramdev`s camp that the hunger strike will be called off at mid-day if government honoured the commitments. Ramdev hits back calling government`s action a betrayal. Both sides harden positions. Government sends a late night letter to Ramdev.
Mid night of June 4-5: Police swoop down on the protest site a little after 1 am, catching Ramdev and his supporters unaware.
Police resorts to lathicharge and firing of tear gas shells, creating commotion and chaos. Elderly followers swoon. Thirty people with injuries admitted to hospital.
2:10 am: Baba appeals to followers to maintain calm.
2:30 am: Ramdev is carried on shoulders by followers.
A little later Ramdev is not seen at the venue.
4.00-4:30 am: Protesters evicted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda