Church defends La Marts principal in caning case
Kolkata: The Church of North India, which runs the La Martinere School for Boys, has raised questions about the impartiality of the probe by National Commission for Protection of Child Rights into the Rauvanjit Rawla suicide case, saying it had been done with a "pre-conceived notion".
"The CNI strongly questions the role of the NCPCR probe team as the way they conducted the investigations makes it clear that they were working with a pre-conceived notion and that they were not impartial," executive committee member of the CNI Synod and the Kolkata Diocese Suman Biswas charged.
Rouvanit, a Class VIII student, committed suicide on February 12, four days after being caned by principal Sunirmal Chakravarthy for errant behaviour.
Ashok Agarwal of the three-member NCPCR team that visited the school for three days from June 9 and interviewed a section of students and the principal, had said that he was not ruling out the possibility of humiliation and corporal punishment leading to Rouvanjit`s suicide.
Pointing out that the NCPCR did neither speak to the teachers allegedly involved in the controversy nor recorded their views, Biswas accused the Commission of conducting the investigations as per its "whims and fancies".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read