Church defends La Marts principal in caning case
Kolkata: The Church of North India, which runs the La Martinere School for Boys, has raised questions about the impartiality of the probe by National Commission for Protection of Child Rights into the Rauvanjit Rawla suicide case, saying it had been done with a "pre-conceived notion".
"The CNI strongly questions the role of the NCPCR probe team as the way they conducted the investigations makes it clear that they were working with a pre-conceived notion and that they were not impartial," executive committee member of the CNI Synod and the Kolkata Diocese Suman Biswas charged.
Rouvanit, a Class VIII student, committed suicide on February 12, four days after being caned by principal Sunirmal Chakravarthy for errant behaviour.
Ashok Agarwal of the three-member NCPCR team that visited the school for three days from June 9 and interviewed a section of students and the principal, had said that he was not ruling out the possibility of humiliation and corporal punishment leading to Rouvanjit`s suicide.
Pointing out that the NCPCR did neither speak to the teachers allegedly involved in the controversy nor recorded their views, Biswas accused the Commission of conducting the investigations as per its "whims and fancies".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video