Church formulating guidelines to deal with sexual abuse cases
New Delhi: Rattled by increasing complaints of sexual assault by priests, the Catholic Church in India is formulating "holistic" guidelines for dealing with cases of all forms of abuse of children in its institutions.
The guidelines, which will be finalised by June after consulting all dioceses, include reporting of any form of abuse by priests or others associated with Church to police
and expelling "guilty" priests.
The Catholic Bishops` Conference of India (CBCI), the apex body of the Catholic Church in the country, has given final touches to the guidelines at its conference in Bangalore
"We have a zero-tolerance towards any form of abuse of
children. We are formulating holistic guidelines to deal with
cases of physical and psychological abuse. This is not
restricted to sexual abuse alone," Babu Joseph, a CBCI
"We will not shield anybody. We will report to police
matters which are needed to be reported to them," Joseph said.
The Catholic Church is in the eye of a storm over alleged
sexual abuse by priests, which include the recent case of
Indian priest Rev Joseph Palanivel Jeyapaul who was charged
with sexually assaulting a teenage parishioner in Minnesota in
the United States.
Joseph said those found guilty of sexual abuse or any
other form of abuse will have to face the law of the land.
"Besides this, we will also take action against them. It
can be suspension from duties or expelling him from church,"
Noting that the Church is not going to take "any hasty
step," he said they will be formulating guidelines on how to
protect children in church institutions like orphanages,
special homes and schools.
"The guidelines are not just for punishing the clergy. We
will also address the issue of how to ensure the safety of
children in our institutions," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand