CIA chief in India, discusses Obama visit
New Delhi: Ahead of the visit of President
Barack Obama, CIA chief Leon Panetta was in India looking for
ways to cement sharing of information in tackling terrorism.
Panetta, the top-most US intelligence official, held
a series of meetings with senior government officials
including Union Home Secretary G K Pillai over the last one
During his meetings, including with his Indian
counterpart RAW chief K C Verma and Intelligence Bureau
head Rajiv Mathur, Panetta discussed cooperation between the
two countries especially in the field of counter-terrorism
and sharing intelligence.
The two sides are understood to have discussed the issue
of terrorism that continues to emanate from Pakistan and was
threatening India as well as many other parts of the world.
American Embassy officials remained tightlipped on the
visit of Panetta. "We do not comment on intelligence issues,"
The CIA chief came here over a month before the high
profile visit of the US President to India beginning November
This is the first visit by any top US official after the
a team of the Indian National Investigation Agency (NIA)
questioned Lashker-e-Taiba terrorist David Headley in May in
Post Mumbai terror strikes in November 2008, India and
the US have seen several top level interactions in the area
Earlier this year, Director of National Intelligence
(DNI) Dennis C Blair visited India during which he had met
several top officials besides Union Home Minister P
Blair had said Pakistan was using militant groups like
Lashkar-e Taiba as strategic tools against India.
Panetta had visited India in March last year and was
followed by FBI Chief Robert Mueller.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27