CIC directive to PMO on Haj delegation
New Delhi: The Central Information Commission has directed the Prime Minister`s Office to display on its website the process of selecting the Haj goodwill delegation and the names of its members.
Information Commissioner Shailesh Gandhi, using powers under the Right to Information Act, directed the PMO to display the information as part of mandatory proactive disclosure clause of the transparency law.
The case relates to RTI application filed by one Abdul Rashid Hanjura of Jammu and Kashmir, who sought to know the reasons for not selecting him for the Haj delegation.
He claimed that he had a 30 year practice at bar and had been associated with social and voluntary causes but despite his application with the Prime Minister`s Office and External Affairs Ministry, his name was not in the Haj goodwill delegation.
The External Affairs Ministry, while replying to his RTI application, said it sends Haj goodwill delegation to Saudi Arabia during Haj season.
"The delegation includes eminent Muslim personalities such as union ministers, MPs, MLAs etc. Many persons send recommendations for their inclusion in the delegation but strength of Haj goodwill delegation varies from 20-35.
"Hence the number of delegates is limited. The composition and size of Haj goodwill delegation is determined at the highest level and with the approval of Prime Minister, it is finalised," the Ministry said.
Gandhi said the applicant is basically seeking to understand the criteria of selecting the Haj delegation.
"This information should ideally be disclosed suo moto as per provisions of Section 4(1)(b)(xii) of the RTI Act. The respondent states that the information is not with the MEA and delegation is selected. The Commission directs the PIO to send this order to PIO of PMO," he said while directing to display the information on the website of the PMO.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues