CIC slams PWD for no info on illegal occupants in govt flats
New Delhi: CIC has pulled up Public Works
Department for not keeping information related to illegal
occupants in government flats.
"The Commission finds this very distressing that for a
serious charge like illegal occupation of government flats, no
attention has been paid in spite of the appellant bringing
this to the notice of the public authority.
"Citizens will despair of any correction in governance if
public authorities continue to adopt an attitude where they
refuse to see major illegalities," Information Commissioner
Shailesh Gandhi said in his order.
Exercising the Right to Information Act, Dinesh Sharma
filed an application asking PWD to provide information related
to allotment of houses of type 1,2,3 and 4 in Gulabi Bagh
government colony in New Delhi.
The applicant had alleged illegal occupancy in a number
of houses in the colony.
Dissatisfied over the incomplete information given by
both the Public Information Officer (PIO) and the First
Appellate Authority (FAA), Sharma moved the Central
While hearing the matter, the Commission pointed out that
the appellant has complained that 957 flats out of a total of
2,128 flats are illegally occupied by unauthorised persons.
"The PIO has given a list of only about 1,200 flats,
mentioning the people who are in occupation and most of the
flats where the appellant alleges illegal occupation are not
covered in that," the order said.
"The respondent states that the process of computerisation
is on and, very conveniently, only records of about 1,200
flats have been computerised and the rest are not on the list.
"... The respondent states that they are so busy with
Commonwealth Games that they have no time to look at matters
like illegal occupation of government property... The
Commission hopes that some senior officer will look at this
and take appropriate action," he remarked.
The Commission has also directed PWD to allow the
appellant to inspect records of the total of 2,128 flats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi