CIC slams PWD for no info on illegal occupants in govt flats
New Delhi: CIC has pulled up Public Works
Department for not keeping information related to illegal
occupants in government flats.
"The Commission finds this very distressing that for a
serious charge like illegal occupation of government flats, no
attention has been paid in spite of the appellant bringing
this to the notice of the public authority.
"Citizens will despair of any correction in governance if
public authorities continue to adopt an attitude where they
refuse to see major illegalities," Information Commissioner
Shailesh Gandhi said in his order.
Exercising the Right to Information Act, Dinesh Sharma
filed an application asking PWD to provide information related
to allotment of houses of type 1,2,3 and 4 in Gulabi Bagh
government colony in New Delhi.
The applicant had alleged illegal occupancy in a number
of houses in the colony.
Dissatisfied over the incomplete information given by
both the Public Information Officer (PIO) and the First
Appellate Authority (FAA), Sharma moved the Central
While hearing the matter, the Commission pointed out that
the appellant has complained that 957 flats out of a total of
2,128 flats are illegally occupied by unauthorised persons.
"The PIO has given a list of only about 1,200 flats,
mentioning the people who are in occupation and most of the
flats where the appellant alleges illegal occupation are not
covered in that," the order said.
"The respondent states that the process of computerisation
is on and, very conveniently, only records of about 1,200
flats have been computerised and the rest are not on the list.
"... The respondent states that they are so busy with
Commonwealth Games that they have no time to look at matters
like illegal occupation of government property... The
Commission hopes that some senior officer will look at this
and take appropriate action," he remarked.
The Commission has also directed PWD to allow the
appellant to inspect records of the total of 2,128 flats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof