CID begins probe into controversial CD involving Hasan Ali
Mumbai: Maharashtra police on Thursday began an
inquiry into the controversial CD in which Pune-based race
horse owner Hasan Ali purportedly talks about attending a high
level meeting held to appoint Hassan Gafoor as the police
commissioner of Mumbai before the 26/11 terror attacks.
The inquiry by CID had been ordered by Home Minister R R
Patil after BJP MLA Devendra Phadanvis presented the CD in the
state assembly two days back, questioning the locus standi of
the businessman to attend such a meeting which was attended by
the minister and senior leaders of Congress and NCP.
"The state CID has received written order from the
government in this regard and an inquiry into the matter began
today," Additional Director General (CID) S P S Yadav said.
The CID, assisted by Mumbai crime branch, will scan the
CD in which Ali, while being interrogated by the Deputy
Police Commissioner Ashok Deshbhratar, purportedly said that
state home minister and other senior officials of Congress and
NCP had discussed about the appointment of Gafoor in 2008.
Ali was interrogated following his arrest in December
2008 by Worli Police in central Mumbai in a case of forgery,
cheating and procuring fake passports. He was later released
The CID would check the authenticity of the CD and also
question those who were seen in it during the interrogation of
Ali, official sources said.
It would try to find out who had made the CD and the
purpose behind the recording, the sources added.
Replying to a debate on the budgetary provisions of the
Home department in the Legislative Assembly, Patil had said on
April 13 the CID will probe the veracity of Ali`s claims and
also the authenticity of the CD.
Patil had also rejected Ali`s claim in the CD that he and
Ahmed Patel, political adviser to Congress president Sonia
Gandhi, had met in a suburban hotel to discuss the appointment
of the Police Commissioner.
"I have never met Ahmed Patel and never spoken to him
face to face. The CID will probe if the motive of the CD was
to harm Gafoor, me, Ahmed Patel or anybody else", Patil told
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Swiss fighter jet missing, believed crashed: Ministry
- PM Narendra Modi reviews plans to counter strike by trade unions
- 'Indo-US logistic pact is not agreement to set up bases'
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir