CII against wholesale cancellation of coal blocks
New Delhi: The Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) has cautioned the government against mass cancellation of coal blocks allocation, saying such a step would hurt business sentiment.
"The law should take its own course and no precipitate action should be taken. The coal blocks which were allocated as per due process should not be cancelled. Any such cancellation will adversely impact business sentiment," CII president Adi Godrej said in a statement.
The coal blocks allocation has disrupted Parliament over opposition demands for Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s resignation after the official auditor reported a whopping $33.67 billion loss to the government due to allocattion of 57 coal blocks.
The opposition has also been calling for cancellation of the allocation of these captive coal blocks.
Godrej said: "Any coal block allocation where it is established that due process has not been followed, should be reviewed and, appropriate action taken in accordance with law."
Of the 57 coal blocks in question, actual production has started in only one. Godrej pointed out the various issues which lead to delays in the start of production.
These, he said, include issues related to forest, environment clearances, land acquisition, law and order and lack of supporting infrastructure, especially in remote areas.
"These would need to be addressed through a time-bound, single-window mechanism."
CII said that almost 40 percent of the revenue from coal mining goes to the government as taxes and royalties.
"This is one of the highest in the world. These benefits that accrue to the government need to also be recognised."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla