‘Citizen`s cooperation must in anti-terror fight`
Mumbai: Maharashtra Governor K Sankaranarayanan in Thursday called for active cooperation of the citizens in fight against terrorism.
To meet the challenges posed by terrorism the state police force is being strengthened and equipped with new technology,Sankaranarayanan said while hoisting the national
flag at Shivaji Park Ground here amid heightened security to mark the 63rd Republic Day.
"Active cooperation and constant vigilance on the part of the citizens is equally important to strengthen the efforts of the police," he said.
He also inspected the guard of honour presented by the police.
Due to the Governor`s ill health his speech for the occasion was read out by Maharashtra Minister of State for Housing and Industries, Sachin Ahir.
"Despite the all-round progress made by the state during the last 50 years, there are areas that need special attention. The government is determined to achieve ambitious targets it has set," he said in his speech.
He also lauded the government`s efforts for taking appropriate measures to supply drinking water through tankers, supply fodder and providing work to labourers under
Maharashtra`s Employment Guarantee Scheme in the areas affected by uneven rainfall.
He noted that pendency of cases in Maharashtra courts has reduced significantly as government set up more courts in the state including fast track ones and started evening courts to provide speedy justice to its citizens.
Traditional koli, adivasi and lavani dances were also staged at the function attended by Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, Chief Secretary Ratnakar Gaikwad and DGP K Subramaniam, among others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city