CITU threatens to gherao Parliament during winter session
Kolkata: CITU, one of the main sponsors of
today`s nation-wide industrial strike, has threatened to
gherao Parliament during the winter session to protest rising
prices and alleged violation of labour laws in PSUs as its
next course of action.
"We are planning to gherao Parliament during the winter
session to intensify our struggle if our demands are not
conceded by the Centre," CITU state general secretary Kali
Ghosh told reporters here.
The protest before the Parliament could be held on a
single day or it could continue for days after commencement of
the gherao, he said.
Asked whether Congress labour wing INTUC, which was part
of the today`s industrial strike, would join the protest
before Parliament, he said the idea was mooted by that
INTUC was the signatory of the declaration of July 15
which stated that if the government did not concede the
demands, the trade unions would intensify the struggle and
prepare for a `March to Parliament`.
"We are discussing with different state units of central
trade unions on the programme," he said.
Claiming that today`s strike was a `massive success`,
Ghosh said as per reports from different parts of the country
more than 10 crore workers representing all the sectors of the
economy participated in it.
To a question, he ruled out the possibility of relaxing
today`s 24-hour strike in West Bengal saying, "We cannot do it
unilaterally here. It is an all-India programme of the central
The strike which was supported by the ruling Left Front
in West Bengal disrupted normal life in the state.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Good news! Foreigners, NRIs can now book train tickets in India using debit, credit cards
- Telangana SSC class 10th Results 2016 is likely to be declared on May 5
- West Bengal Assembly Elections: Polling begins in crucial fifth phase, 680 central forces companies deployed
- Severe heat wave condition in West Bengal
- Kerela HSE (Class 12) Result 2016 is likely to be declared by second week of May