CITU threatens to gherao Parliament during winter session
Kolkata: CITU, one of the main sponsors of
today`s nation-wide industrial strike, has threatened to
gherao Parliament during the winter session to protest rising
prices and alleged violation of labour laws in PSUs as its
next course of action.
"We are planning to gherao Parliament during the winter
session to intensify our struggle if our demands are not
conceded by the Centre," CITU state general secretary Kali
Ghosh told reporters here.
The protest before the Parliament could be held on a
single day or it could continue for days after commencement of
the gherao, he said.
Asked whether Congress labour wing INTUC, which was part
of the today`s industrial strike, would join the protest
before Parliament, he said the idea was mooted by that
INTUC was the signatory of the declaration of July 15
which stated that if the government did not concede the
demands, the trade unions would intensify the struggle and
prepare for a `March to Parliament`.
"We are discussing with different state units of central
trade unions on the programme," he said.
Claiming that today`s strike was a `massive success`,
Ghosh said as per reports from different parts of the country
more than 10 crore workers representing all the sectors of the
economy participated in it.
To a question, he ruled out the possibility of relaxing
today`s 24-hour strike in West Bengal saying, "We cannot do it
unilaterally here. It is an all-India programme of the central
The strike which was supported by the ruling Left Front
in West Bengal disrupted normal life in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NIA busts ISIS module in Hyderabad; 11 arrested
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Here's a docu-fiction on the journey of 'Sultan'! Watch video
- Vodafone tax case: HC allows penalty proceedings to go on
- EU leaders meet without Cameron over Brexit vote
- Gareth Southgate set to become the new England manager on temporary basis
- Jumbo takes flight! Eight key quotes from Anil Kumble's first press conference as India coach