CITU threatens to gherao Parliament during winter session
Kolkata: CITU, one of the main sponsors of
today`s nation-wide industrial strike, has threatened to
gherao Parliament during the winter session to protest rising
prices and alleged violation of labour laws in PSUs as its
next course of action.
"We are planning to gherao Parliament during the winter
session to intensify our struggle if our demands are not
conceded by the Centre," CITU state general secretary Kali
Ghosh told reporters here.
The protest before the Parliament could be held on a
single day or it could continue for days after commencement of
the gherao, he said.
Asked whether Congress labour wing INTUC, which was part
of the today`s industrial strike, would join the protest
before Parliament, he said the idea was mooted by that
INTUC was the signatory of the declaration of July 15
which stated that if the government did not concede the
demands, the trade unions would intensify the struggle and
prepare for a `March to Parliament`.
"We are discussing with different state units of central
trade unions on the programme," he said.
Claiming that today`s strike was a `massive success`,
Ghosh said as per reports from different parts of the country
more than 10 crore workers representing all the sectors of the
economy participated in it.
To a question, he ruled out the possibility of relaxing
today`s 24-hour strike in West Bengal saying, "We cannot do it
unilaterally here. It is an all-India programme of the central
The strike which was supported by the ruling Left Front
in West Bengal disrupted normal life in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues