Civil N-Liability Act text has problems: Kakodkar
Mumbai: Hailing India signing the Convention
on Supplementary Compensation (CSC) by India, former Chairman
of Atomic Energy Commission Anil Kakodkar today said the
text of Indian Civil Nuclear Liability Act itself has some
"It is a good thing India signed the CSC. However, the
text of Civil Nuclear Liability Act itself has some problems,"
Kakodkar told PTI on the sidelines of A D Schroff Memorial
Lecture on "Towards our safe and secure Energy Future"
organised by the Forum of Free Enterprise.
"One of the purposes of joining CSC is to get
contribution - to get the coverage beyond the national
limit (cap) when there is trans-national implications of a
nuclear accident," he said.
"If we do not have a national limit, there is no question
of getting any benefit from the CSC," he said.
On the Right of Recourse in the event of nuclear
accidents on which a lot of noise was made by the foreign
suppliers, Kakodkar said "it is the Indian suppliers who will
be the manufacturers for the foreign nuclear industry and are
going to be hurt more."
"Most of the value addition and supply of equipment of
the foreign nuclear industry will be done by the Indian
manufactures," he said.
According to the Act, the total Indian government
liability is USD 300 million (Rs 2200 crore)of which Rs 1500
crore will be on the operator (Nuclear Power Corporation of
India) and the remaining Rs 700 crore will be taken care of by
the Centre with public funds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Experts hail Indian Army's surgical strikes on Pakistan
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says