Civilised and educated sections should join politics: Tharoor
Dehradun: Criminalisation of politics would only end when civilised and educated sections of society come forward to represent the people, Union Minister Shashi Tharoor has said.
"Criminalisation of politics... Can be stopped only if civilised and educated people come out of their shells and join the rough and tumble of politics," Tharoor, the Minister of State for Human Resource Development, said yesterday during an interaction with students at Doon School here.
Noting how it was the bitter reality that one out of every three MPs had a criminal case against him, Tharoor said, "This can stop only if instead of avoiding politics, the civilised and educated sections join politics and free it of its ills," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read