Civilised and educated sections should join politics: Tharoor
Dehradun: Criminalisation of politics would only end when civilised and educated sections of society come forward to represent the people, Union Minister Shashi Tharoor has said.
"Criminalisation of politics... Can be stopped only if civilised and educated people come out of their shells and join the rough and tumble of politics," Tharoor, the Minister of State for Human Resource Development, said yesterday during an interaction with students at Doon School here.
Noting how it was the bitter reality that one out of every three MPs had a criminal case against him, Tharoor said, "This can stop only if instead of avoiding politics, the civilised and educated sections join politics and free it of its ills," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?