CJI Altamas Kabir asks states to deal firmly with rape cases
Kolkata: Chief Justice of India Altamas Kabir on Saturday asked states to deal firmly deal with cases of rape and atrocities on women saying that administration and investigation should go hand in hand.
"Unless administration is strict and handles cases with a strong hand, nothing can be done. Administration and investigation have to go hand in hand," Justice Kabir said after inaugurating a circuit bench of the appellate tribunal for electricity here.
"It is to be ensured that investigation is done accurately and fairly. The administration will have to take stern action. This is urgently required," he said.
The chief justice said "Many cases have been lost due to want of witnesses and for improper investigations in the past."
Speaking about the efficacy of fast track courts, he said trial in the Delhi gang-rape case of 2012 was almost completed and over 70 witnesses examined. "It is at a final stage."
Justice Kabir said that there has been, of late, good response to the call for setting up fast track courts from the states to deal with cases pertaining to violence against women, in particular.
"Each state has been putting effort to see that fast track courts are active," he said.
He, however, refused to comment on Kamduni rape case in North 24-parganas district of West Bengal.
Asked to comment on the state government`s announcement of compensation for rape victims, he said it was an administrative matter.
"We have nothing to say in this matter," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof