CJI not in favour of SC`s regional benches
New Delhi: Rejecting Law Commission`s recommendation for setting up of four Supreme Court regional benches, Chief Justice of India KG Balakrishnan on Saturday said he did not favour the "disintegration" of the apex court.
"I am not in favour of the disintegration of the
Supreme Court. Personally I feel the Supreme Court cannot be
in any other part of India. This is the highest court of the
land. It is in the capital city of the land," he said.
The CJI said, "It is a final court and we should
maintain the integrity of the Supreme Court.”
The Law Commission had last year suggested division of
the Supreme Court into a Constitution bench at Delhi and
regional benches in Delhi, Chennai, Kolkata and Mumbai.
The CJI said that there is nothing wrong in
restructuring of the Supreme Court but it cannot be
Speaking at the R K Jain memorial foundation lecture
here, he said that the filing of cases in the apex court is
increasing at a phenomenal rate. There are at present over
50,000 cases pending in the apex court.
At present there are 26 judges in the Supreme Court
against the sanctioned strength of 31.
The Law Ministry had sought opinion of Attorney General G
E Vahanvati who also was not in favor of regional benches of
the apex cour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!