CJI to head bench on Ayodhya hearing
New Delhi: A three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice SH Kapadia will on Tuesday decide the fate of the special leave petition seeking deferment of the Allahabad High Court verdict on the Ayodhya title suit.
Besides the Chief Justice, the bench would include Justices Aftab Alam and KS Radhakrishnan. The matter has been listed as the first item on the agenda at 10.30 am.
The apex court had on Thursday, stayed for a week the High Court verdict following the petition moved by a retired bureaucrat Ramesh Chand Tripathi seeking deferment of the
verdict to explore the possibility of an out-of-court settlement.
The apex court had passed the interim stay amidst sharp differences of opinion on the issue of staying the verdict between Justices RV Raveendran and Justices HL Gokhale.
Tripathi`s petition pleaded for exploring the possibility of an out-of-court settlement on the 60-year-old Ram Janambhoomi-Babri Masjid title suit dispute.
The court had also asked Attorney General GE Vahanvati to be present and assist the court when the matter comes up on Tuesday.
Justice Raveendran was of the view that the special leave petition filed by Tripathi should be dismissed while Justice Gokhale was of the opinion that a notice should be
issued for exploring the option of settlement.
Notwithstanding his reservations, Justice Raveendran, who was heading the bench, preferred to go along with Justice Gokhale in making one attempt to find a settlement.
"If there is one per cent chance, you have to give it (for settlement)," Justice Gokhale said.
Justice Raveendran in his order said, "One of the members of the bench is of the view that the SLP should be dismissed. Another member is of the view that the order should
be stayed and notice issued.
"Tradition of this court is when one member says that notice be issued another says that it should not be issued, the notice should be issued.
"And we issue notice and stay the order. There shall be an interim stay for a week. Notice to all parties and the Attorney General who shall be present in the court".
Tuesday`s special hearing assumed considerable importance in view of the fact that one of the three judges of the Ayodhya bench in Lucknow--Justice DV Sharma-- is due to
demit office on October one.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in