‘Clarify on usage of Sindh in national anthem’
Mumbai: Observing that the Supreme Court had
held that the word `Sindh` is correctly used in the national
anthem, the Bombay High Court on Wednesday directed the Centre to
clarify about its correct usage.
A division bench of justices Ranjana Desai and R G Ketkar
was hearing a PIL challenging the use of `Sindh` in the
national anthem and seeking its replacement with `Sindhu`.
According to the PIL filed by retired professor
Shreekanth Malushte, the word `Sindh` was replaced with
`Sindhu` in January 1950 by the government of India.
Malushte`s counsel Niranjan Mogre pointed out to the high
court that as per the information received by them from the
Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) under the RTI, the correct
version of the anthem includes the word `Sindhu`.
"MHA claims it is Sindhu but Supreme Court in its
judgement (five years ago) has quoted the national anthem and
has used the word Sindh. As of now we are going as per the
apex court`s decision. Maybe MHA has made some mistake in its
RTI reply," Justice Desai remarked.
Directing the Central government to look into the Supreme
Court verdict before filing its reply, Justice Desai said,
"You (government) better be careful. It`s a matter of our
According to the PIL, when the anthem was composed in
1917 by Rabindranath Tagore, "Sindh" was part of India but now
it is in Pakistan.
However, "the national anthem continues to be sung and
broadcast in a wrong manner by using incorrect words," it
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!