Clash of couplets between PM, Sushma
New Delhi: It was a clash of couplets between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Leader of Opposition Sushma Swaraj in the Lok Sabha as the debate on Motion of Thanks to the President`s Address peaked on Wednesday.
The Prime Minister, while replying to the debate, attacked BJP with an Urdu couplet saying "Humko hai unse wafa ke umeed, jo jante nai hai wafa kya hai (We are expecting loyalty from those who do not know the meaning of the word)".
He also took a jibe at the bravado of BJP leaders by narrating another couplet -- "jo garajte hain, woh baraste nahi (Thunderous clouds do not bring showers)".
Singh was responding to the "choicest abuses" hurled by BJP leaders against Congress leadership and said he cannot reply in the same language.
Soon after he completed his speech, Swaraj said that in the world of poetry, there is a "debt" if a couplet is not responded to with a couplet.
And she went on say: "Kuch toh majboorian rahee hongi, yun hee koi bewafa nahee hota (there must have been some compulsions, nobody becomes disloyal for no reason)."
She added another couplet addressed to the Prime Minister: "Tumhe wafa yaad nahi, humein jafa yaad nahi. Zindagi aur maut ke toh do hi tarane hein, ek tumhe yaad nahi, ek hamein yaad nahi (you don`t remember my loyalty, I don`t remember your disloyalty, life has only two songs - one you don`t remember, one I don`t remember.)"
BJP president Rajnath Singh, who was singled out in the attack by the Prime Minister, observed that in the last nine years, he had never seen Manmohan Singh as "aggressive" as today.
He then went on to take a swipe on the Prime Minister by saying that a flame burns the most aggressively when it is about to extinguish.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!