Clash of couplets between PM, Sushma
New Delhi: It was a clash of couplets between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Leader of Opposition Sushma Swaraj in the Lok Sabha as the debate on Motion of Thanks to the President`s Address peaked on Wednesday.
The Prime Minister, while replying to the debate, attacked BJP with an Urdu couplet saying "Humko hai unse wafa ke umeed, jo jante nai hai wafa kya hai (We are expecting loyalty from those who do not know the meaning of the word)".
He also took a jibe at the bravado of BJP leaders by narrating another couplet -- "jo garajte hain, woh baraste nahi (Thunderous clouds do not bring showers)".
Singh was responding to the "choicest abuses" hurled by BJP leaders against Congress leadership and said he cannot reply in the same language.
Soon after he completed his speech, Swaraj said that in the world of poetry, there is a "debt" if a couplet is not responded to with a couplet.
And she went on say: "Kuch toh majboorian rahee hongi, yun hee koi bewafa nahee hota (there must have been some compulsions, nobody becomes disloyal for no reason)."
She added another couplet addressed to the Prime Minister: "Tumhe wafa yaad nahi, humein jafa yaad nahi. Zindagi aur maut ke toh do hi tarane hein, ek tumhe yaad nahi, ek hamein yaad nahi (you don`t remember my loyalty, I don`t remember your disloyalty, life has only two songs - one you don`t remember, one I don`t remember.)"
BJP president Rajnath Singh, who was singled out in the attack by the Prime Minister, observed that in the last nine years, he had never seen Manmohan Singh as "aggressive" as today.
He then went on to take a swipe on the Prime Minister by saying that a flame burns the most aggressively when it is about to extinguish.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?