Cleaning of Yamuna: Uma Bharti promises to work pro-actively
New Delhi: Promising to cleanse the polluted Yamuna river, Union Water Resources Minister Uma Bharti on Wednesday said she would pro-actively work to get clearances from various ministries for developing the crucial source of water for Delhi.
"I had a meeting with Delhi LG (Lieutenant Governor) Najeeb Jung and discussed cleaning of Yamuna river which is flowing through the national capital. A wing has been set up with DDA for the purpose. The officials of the wing will meet us (Ministry of Water Resources) for sorting out issues concerned," she told reporters here.
Extending full cooperation to Government of NCT Delhi in making Yamuna pollution free, she said that a meeting in this regard will be held in a couple of days.
Close on the heels of a secretaries-level group to rejuvenate the Ganga river, the Water Resources Ministry had already setup a separate committee for cleansing the polluted Yamuna river in Delhi.
Bharti also said that 2015-16 would be observed as the year of `Water Conservation`, while emphasising on the need for interlinking of rivers in the country.
"We have planned to announce 2015-16 as the year of water conservation... We are ready to interlink rivers keeping environment in mind and we can do it in 10 years," the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price