Clear skies in Mohali after thunderstorm
Mohali: Ahead of the crucial India-Pakistan cricket World Cup semi-final, the skies cleared up Wednesday morning after a thunderstorm followed by light rain in Mohali and Chandigarh.
Met officials said the skies would remain clear for most of the day. They added, however, that there was possibility of light showers towards the evening.
The high-voltage semi-final clash between India and Pakistan starts at the Punjab Cricket Association (PCA) stadium here at 2.30 p.m. It will be a day-night encounter.
Several high-profile people, including the Indian and Pakistani Prime Ministers, Manmohan Singh and Yousuf Raza Gilani, and Congress president Sonia Gandhi and her family (Rahul Gandhi, Priyanka Gandhi and Robert Vadra), will watch the match amid unprecedented security cover.
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, union ministers, chief ministers governors of states, industrialist Mukesh Ambani and Bollywood celebrities like Aamir Khan and Deepika Padukone are expected to see the match.
Light rain had lashed Chandigarh, 10 km from here, and Mohali late Tuesday evening. The showers were accompanied by thunder and strong winds leading to fears that the match, that has generated unprecedented excitement in the subcontinent, could be a washout.
"Partly cloudy sky will prevail over in the Mohali region on Wednesday. Thunderstorms and dust-storms along with light rain, by the evening, could also prevail in various parts of this region," a Met official had said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark