Clerics denounce Shia leader’s remarks on women in politics
Lucknow: Shia leader Kalbe Jawwad`s remarks
on participation of women in politics on Saturday stirred a hornet`s
nest with Muslim women and clerics saying these were against
the teachings and principles of Islam.
Jawwad had said in Allahabad yesterday that instead of
becoming leaders and politicians, women should perform the
task for which they have been sent by the almightly -- to give
birth to good leaders.
Denouncing the statement, Khalid Rasheed Firangimahali,
Niab Imam of the Idgah and a member of the All India Muslim
Personal Law Board, said it had nothing to do either with
Shariat or Islam.
"Islam does not discriminate between men and women," he
said terming the remarks as unfortunate.
To reinforce his point, he said Muslim women had played
an important role in the freedom struggle and in the task of
Shaista Amber, president of the All India Muslim Women
Personal Law Board, expressed surprise over the statement and
cited the example of Shia-dominated Iran where women had been
participating in every sphere of life.
"In Pakistan and Bangladesh too, women have been taking
part in politics and public life in a big way," she said.
"The Prime Minister of Bangladesh is a woman while the
assassinated former premier Benazir Bhutto was also a woman
though Pakistan is a theocratic state," Amber said.
"Islam even permits women to come out and earn their
livelihood if the situation so warrants in an honest and
legitimate manner," she said
The reservation in state legislatures for women should
not be limited to 33 percent, Amber said, adding there was
enough room for increasing it to 50 percent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset