Clerics to sensitise Muslim community on female foeticide
Lucknow: From now on while giving a religious discourse from the mosques during prayers, Muslim clerics would also have an important message to give – stop female foeticide, save girl child.
In a bid check the increasing number of cases of female foeticide among Muslims the All India Muslim Personal Law Board has taken an initiative wherein awareness would be
created among community people on social evils like female foeticide.
"In the Islamic law female foeticide is equivalent to murder and is a crime. People should be aware with it," member of the AIMPLB and Naib Imam Maulana Khalid Rasheed Firani Mahali told a news agnecy.
He said people`s lack of knowledge regarding importance given to women in Islam had resulted in a social evil like female foeticide.
"To end this social evil and to create awareness among Muslims, it has been decided that Imams will give the message of saving girl child from mosques during prayers, specially
those held on Jumma (Friday)," Firangi Mahali said.
This could be an effective and easy way to propogate the idea and sensitise the community people, he said.
In the first phase the campaign would be launched from big cities, where Imams would be prepared to give this special message.
"In the next stage this campaign would be extended to districts and later on to block and tehsil level. Our effort would be to reach maximum number of people and raise the issue," the AIMPLB member said.
He said if required special conventions of Imams would also be organised at block and tehsil level.
The issue was raised prominently during the three-day annual convention of the board and it was decided that to sensitise Muslims on female foeticide a full fledged publicity
campaign should be launched.
"During the convention, which was attended by prominent religious leaders from all over the country, it was decided that the Imams would present Sahari (Islamic Law) view
on the issue of female foeticide in their Takreers (speech) during prayers," he said.
"While discussing measures to protect rights of Muslims, deliberations were also held on as how to check social evils in the community like female foeticide and dowry," Firangi
"Female foeticide or murder is considered as a crime in Islam and it should be banned either by enforcing the law strictly or by creating awareness with the help of social
organisations," president of All India United Muslim Morcha M A Siddiqui said.
According to census report in 2001 male-female ratio in UP was 1000 male to 898 female, which declined to 1000 male to less than 850 female in several districts by 2008.
"If female foeticide is not checked immediately it would have serious ramification in the future," Siddiqui said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’